1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing from a NT/Windows Service

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by airren, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. airren

airren Thread Starter

I have a service that needs to print (on Windows NT Server, Windows 2000 Server, and Windows 2003 Server). Using the Local System account, I can print to local printers, but I've learned that I need to use a domain account to print to network printers. I would like to allow my users to use a common account that will only be used to run the service but a profile won't exist on the computers and I'm assuming that a profile has to exist to print. My other approach will be to have my users to login to the computer using the common account in order to create the profile, install the necessary network printers, and then modify the service to use the common account. That way no matter who logins or if nobody is logged in, the service will run. Any suggestions of a better way to handle this problem?

2. snappy_31

snappy_31

Network printers are tricky but flawless when set up properly.
    How big is the Network? Does the Printer Need its own IP address? Printing off all those Platforms?
    If a small printer not needing its own IP just set it as shared and map all the PC's to the printer. Printer settings screen will see it as a network printer then
    Peter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice