Printing from PDF

TEBryn

I have created a PDF from a spreadsheet tab. The sheet appears fine in print preview mode but when either printing or saving as a PDF certain cells appear very small and unreadable. The cells in question contain text. I have ensured I have the latest Adobe version. Any suggestions? Thank you

Same thing happen if you open the PDF in the Google Chrome browser and then try to print from there?

cwwozniak

Chuck
Hi, and welcome to TSG.

I have created a PDF from a spreadsheet tab.
Exactly what program and version number are you using to create and edit the spreadsheet?

Are you creating the PDF file by using a "Save as PDF" function in the spreadsheet or by some other method?

when either printing or saving as a PDF certain cells appear very small and unreadable.
Just to clarify, are you saying that the problem exists even when you print the tab directly from the spreadsheet program?

When editing the spreadsheet tab, do the problem cells actually fit and properly display all the text within the given cell? In some recent versions of MS-Excel that I have used, there is a feature where if a given cell has more text that can fit in one line in one cell -AND- the cells to the right are empty, Excel will display the text as one line that overlaps the empty cells. I am wondering if this is what is happening to you and the text covers multiple cells in editing and print preview modes and is getting crunched into one cell for the actual printing and PDF generation.

I have the latest Adobe version
Are you referring to the the full and not free Adobe Acrobat creation and editing software or the free Adobe Acrobat Reader program?

TEBryn

Hi, and welcome to TSG.

Exactly what program and version number are you using to create and edit the spreadsheet?

Are you creating the PDF file by using a "Save as PDF" function in the spreadsheet or by some other method?

Just to clarify, are you saying that the problem exists even when you print the tab directly from the spreadsheet program?

When editing the spreadsheet tab, do the problem cells actually fit and properly display all the text within the given cell? In some recent versions of MS-Excel that I have used, there is a feature where if a given cell has more text that can fit in one line in one cell -AND- the cells to the right are empty, Excel will display the text as one line that overlaps the empty cells. I am wondering if this is what is happening to you and the text covers multiple cells in editing and print preview modes and is getting crunched into one cell for the actual printing and PDF generation.

Are you referring to the the full and not free Adobe Acrobat creation and editing software or the free Adobe Acrobat Reader program?
Thanks for the response. The excel version is 2013 and the issue exists when printing either from print preview (which looks ok) or when saving as a PDF - the saved PDF when viewed has the issue which is then translated into the print. To confirm when viewing on screen within excel or as print preview the cells view correctly.

TEBryn

Hi, and welcome to TSG.

To confirm - this is the free Adobe reader but having said that it works with most documents

cwwozniak

Chuck
Thank you for the clarifications. It sounds like the problem is within MS-Excel 2013 and not related to Adobe Acrobat Reader or PDF files.

Would you say that the problem cells have any common trait (i.e. amount of text, very long number, a particular font or font size, text-wrap setting, merged cells, fixed information vs. calculated content, etc.) not found in other cells that print OK?

Can you reply with an attached version of the MS-Excel file that just has the one tab and does not contain any personal or confidential information, but still has the problem?

Couriant

James
I would be curious to see if it happens with other software too, like Word.

plodr

Liz
I've never tried turning an Excel file into a pdf then printing.
Instead of turning it into a pdf, set the print area and just print it out as the xls or xlsx file that it is.

We do this with a database of over 400 people with titles, names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses. All cells whether they contain letters or numbers are readable.

Have you tried printing to PDF using the Microsoft print to PDF printer instead of the Adobe print to PDF?

And I clearly recall something in Excel that allowed a worksheet to be formatted specifically to fit a page. It could be something like "fit all columns on one page", or something about shrinking the worksheet.

Couriant

James
This is for Office365 but should be in 2013:

1623528260933.png

This is under scaling.

TEBryn

Thank you for the clarifications. It sounds like the problem is within MS-Excel 2013 and not related to Adobe Acrobat Reader or PDF files.

Would you say that the problem cells have any common trait (i.e. amount of text, very long number, a particular font or font size, text-wrap setting, merged cells, fixed information vs. calculated content, etc.) not found in other cells that print OK?

Can you reply with an attached version of the MS-Excel file that just has the one tab and does not contain any personal or confidential information, but still has the problem?
The excel file itself views correctly but I can look at the contents of the cells which are not displaying correctly in PDF or printing.

cwwozniak

Chuck
I can look at the contents of the cells which are not displaying correctly in PDF or printing.
While looking at the contents in MS-Excel, can you answer my previous question?

Any possibility you can provide a file?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online