1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing from Vista to Epson Stylus Colour 600 on XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SmartRoss, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SmartRoss

SmartRoss Thread Starter

I have two desktop computers, one running Vista Home Premium and the other running XP Home. These computers are wirelessly networked, with an Epson Stylus Colour 600 printer connected to the XP system. I can access shared files that are on the Vista computer from XP, but not the other way around. If I try to do this I get an error message stating that the folder isn't accessible, that I might not have permissions, and that there isn't enough server storage to process the request. My main concern, however, is that I can't acces the XP printer from Vista. It shows up in Network, but I can't connect to it; it says that the network name is unavailable. When I drag a file on to the printer, I get the message "Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709). Make sure that you have typed the name correctly, and that the printer is connected to the network."

Does anybody have any soloutions to my problems?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you do a web search for that exact error message about "server storage" you'll get a solution that generally works.

First connect the printer to the Vista and install and test it that way. Then when you move it back to the XP and try to connect to it you will know that you have a working Vista driver available.

3. SmartRoss

SmartRoss Thread Starter

I can't; the printer uses a Printer (Parallel) cable and my Vista computer doesn't have a parallel port as it is less than a year old.

4. SmartRoss

SmartRoss Thread Starter

Can anyone help me?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you solved the "server storage" problem?

Do you have a Vista driver for the printer?

6. SmartRoss

SmartRoss Thread Starter

I haven't sorted the problem, and I don't have a Vista driver.

7. SmartRoss

SmartRoss Thread Starter

Can anyone suggest anything?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you don't have a Vista driver, that's the first problem to solve.

9. SmartRoss

SmartRoss Thread Starter

According to the Epson website, the drivers for that printer are included with Vista, but aren't installed until the printer is connected. How, therefore, do I go about installing the driver?

10. JohnWill

Did you try connecting the printer to the Vista system, installing it locally and getting it working first?

After getting it working locally, you can move it to the XP system, then access the properties of the installed printer on Vista and under the Ports tab, add a new local port with the port name that matches the full network path to the printer on the XP system. That's how I've had to install several shared printers onto my Vista systems.

11. SmartRoss

SmartRoss Thread Starter

I can't connect the printer to the Vista system; the printer uses a Parallel cable and my Vista machine doesn't have a Parallel port.

12. JohnWill

I think I see a new printer in your future. :)

13. SmartRoss

SmartRoss Thread Starter

Well, in the meantime, does anybody have any other suggestions?

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You "haven't sorted the ["server storage"] problem" because the procedure on that web site didn't work for you or because you have not yet tried?

Make sure that you have marked the printer as 'shared.' It should have the "sharing hand" icon under it.

Depending on the type of parallel connection you can try a USB-Parallel cable (example). I don't think they have cables for mini-Centronics printer connections.

15. SmartRoss

SmartRoss Thread Starter

The procedure on the web site didn't work, and the printer is shared.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice