1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing from vista to XP

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by RBurns10, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RBurns10

RBurns10 Thread Starter

I have a PC running XP. It is connected to a DSL modem (Westell Model 327W) via Ethernet cable. I also have a HP all in one PSC 1315xi printer connected to the PC.

I have an ACER Extensia 5620 notebook running Vista Home Premium with a wireless card. I have no problem connecting to the internet or sharing files with the notebook with the wireless connection. However, I cannot print using the wireless feature. I get an "access denied" message.

I have tried many fixes listed on this forum to no avail. Any help will be greately appreciated.

Rick

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Check out this thread. Especially post # 13 for something new. I don't understand it, but she said it worked.

3. Lisathetech

Lisathetech

Are you getting an error message? What happened when you tried to put the Vista driver on the XP computer? I did get an error message the first time but the second time it went through. Let me know.

4. RBurns10

RBurns10 Thread Starter

I attempted to load the vista drivers for my printer on my xp machine again. I got the same error message that xp would not support the drivers.
    Also, when I checked the driver list on the printer sharing tab on the xp machine it did not support vista. When I checked the driver list on the vista machine, xp was not listed.

Thanks, Rick

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What we have done. Make sure that the printer is shared on the XP machine. Then on the Vista machine Open Windows Explorer and the browse to the XP machine through Network and then select the XP machine. There you should see the shared printer under "Printers". Now right click the wanted printer and select "Connect" and follow the instructions.

6. RBurns10

RBurns10 Thread Starter

OK, On my vista laptop I went to windows explorer and navigated to "Network". The icon for my lap-top came up. I clicked on the lap-top icon and the printer icon came up. When I right click on the printer and click connect, nothing happens.
    Rick

7. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Check the firewall on the XP machine, as the XP machine may be blocking the Vista machine.

8. RBurns10

RBurns10 Thread Starter

I checked the firewall setting on the xp machine. Under exceptions, file and print sharing is checked.

Rick

9. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    What firewall are you using?

10. RBurns10

RBurns10 Thread Starter

I am running the windows firewall on both machines. I am also running AVAST and AVG on both machines.

Thanks for your input, Rick

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice