1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing from XP to a Shared printer on Vista

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bluem, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluem

bluem Thread Starter

Hello,

Hopefully this is the right forum....

I have a an HP 6200 Printer connected to a Windows Vista...I would like to share the printer so that I can print to it from my Win XP.

I opened the printer properties in Vista and shared the printer along with changing printer name to "Printer1"...my Vista computer name is "MYComputer-1".

Next I opened the Network Sharing and enabled printer sharing in Vista and disabled password protection.

Next I opend my Win XP laptop and tried to connect to the printer but no luck...keep getting the message "unable to locate....etc.". I tried to connect to the printer using \\MYCOMPUTER-1\Printer1 but that does not work.

Is there a problem between Vista and XP when it comes to sharing printers.

Thanks,
    B

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Don't know if you are just starting with networking, so will begin with basics.
    Did you change the Workgroup name so both computers are in the same workgroup? XP's default name is MSHome, Vista's default is Workgroup.
    Firewalls on the machines will need to be configured to allow file and printer sharing. Look under Exceptions in the firewall settings to see if File and Printer Sharing is checked.
    Is the XP computer shown in Network on the Vista?
    Does the Vista show under My Network Places on the XP? On the XP you may need to open My Network Places, Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, Work Group name to see the Vista computer.
    If you see the icon with the Vista computer's name, click on it. The printer and any shared files should show.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Adding a little bit ...

For file sharing Vista requires that at least one user account be password protected; don't know if same is true for printer sharing, but assign a password to an account to test.

Windows XP firewall was covered by dlsayremn, and also a non-Windows firewall (security suite) on either machine may not be properly configured for the desired access.

In the Vista's Network and Sharing Center make sure your network is designated 'private.'

4. bluem

bluem Thread Starter

Both computer are on same domain "workgroup"...I tried under MS windows network on XP computer and could not see the Vista and from Vista PC could not see the Windows XP laptop.

Firewall is turned off on both since I am using zone alarm internet security on laptop with XP and Norton Internet security on PC with Vista.

More info to add I have Vista Home Premium and Windows XP Pro.

Not sure exactly what else to try....Could the problem with Security Program I am using or with routers?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) – OK
    (if Run not on Vista’s Start menu, just type cmd in the Search box)

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
    ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
    ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
    Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

6. bluem

bluem Thread Starter

I am not able to ping IP address for laptop from Vista PC and not able to ping Vista PC from XP laptop.

Also, I should have mentioned this before but my current network is setup as follow:
    Phone Line to Verizon DSL Modem.
    Ethernet cable from Verizon DSL modem to Vonage Router ( I have vonage service).
    Ethernet cable from Vista PC to Vonage Router.
    Ethernet cable from Vonage to Linksys Wireless Router.
    Laptop wireless connection to Linksys Wireless Router.

The Vista PC has the following IP info
    IP Address: 192.168.15.101
    Gateway: 192.168.15.1
    DNS: 192.168.15.1

Laptop has the following IP info
    IP address: 192.168.2.145
    Gateway: 192.168.2.1
    DNS: 192.168.15.1

Could the above configuration be causing the problem that neither computer are able to see each other? Because when I tried to connect my Vista PC to the Linksys Router I was not able to get on the internet as if there is no connection (yellow triangle showed up in system tray)....but I am able to get internet connection with my Laptop (WIN XP) when connected to Linksys Router via cable to wireless. Vista really sucks.

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Posted via Mobile Device
    There lies your problem. Both computers need to be on the same network. Either hook both computers up to the secondary router or make the secondary router act just as a switch and access point.
    Search the forums for posts by Johnwill for connecting two soho routers together.

8. bluem

bluem Thread Starter

The strange thing is that when I am able to access the internet using my laptop that has WIN XP when it is plugged to Linksys router but when I connected the vista to Linksys router I got no connection. So I think Vista or something within vista is blocking access to the Linksys Wireless Router to get internet connection.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For Vista with an attempted connection to the Linksys wireless router (preferably by both ethernet and wireless) please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/814919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice