1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing in dos

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by RubyLaser, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RubyLaser

RubyLaser Thread Starter

Can someone out there please advise me on how to print in dos? I have an ibm xt connected to an Epson xp 1050 and i managed to get the printer to work in xp, but when i took the printer back to the xt machine and tried to print there it just gives a device timeout message in gwbasic and wont let me print.

Any help in this regard would be greatlty appreciated!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Printing in MS-DOS requires each application to have drivers for the specific printer you're using, it's not like using Windows. What printers does the application you're running support? If it has no specific print driver support, all you can print is plain text, and the printer has to understand that's what's coming. Some printers used to have emulation modes for common printers, but that's been a looooooooooong time ago, don't know if any current printers do that.

I'd recommend you print to a serial port and capture it on a more modern machine with something like HyperTerminal and you can print it on a Windows machine.

3. RubyLaser

RubyLaser Thread Starter

I managed to find an old dos book and in it said that you have to declare the device in the config.sys, which i did (if remember correctly wrote device=c:\dos\printer (4208,385,2), my numbers could be wrong but that was basically it). But alas still did not print, the printer is a Seikosha sp 2000, I dont need to actually print but in order for this program to run it uses the lprint command in gwbasic and if it doesnt print it throws an error 27 msg. All I am trying to do is get the program to work, but I am having endless battles with it. Do you know if there is any way of viewing a .bas file on modern machines that will let me print it out so I can at least read it.

Thanks

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You should be able to save the .BAS file in plain text mode, which will allow you to open it with NOTEPAD or any other plain text editor. Like I said, it's not som somple as putting some numbers in CONFIG.SYS, you actually have to have the printer supported as part of the application. That printer will emulate an Epson FX-80, which was pretty common back in the DOS days. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice