1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing on local network printer while on VPN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kjjb0204, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Thread Starter

I have a network printer and two pc's connected to my router. One of those two pc's is my work notebook that connects to our corporate network via vpn. Is there a way I can print to my home network printer while on vpn on my notebook? I'm learning that the vpn creates a direct connection and it's just passed through the router, so the only way I can print is if I connect that printer directly to the notebook via usb. Is that correct or does anyone know how to keep my printer on my home network but still print while on vpn?

Thanks!

2. rhynes

rhynes

Are you running a site to site tunnel with vpn capable routers or are you running a software vpn client?

3. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Thread Starter

Software vpn client - Nortel Contivity with RSA Keyfob authentication.

4. hermes

hermes

You need to enable 'split-tunneling' for your connection. I have used it in a role once and it was configured for split-tunneling (sometimes called Local LAN Access). What router do you have? It needs to be configured to allow split-tunneling for the pool of addresses assigned to VPN client connections.

5. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Thread Starter

It's a netgear wgr614. I don't see any options for split tunneling in the router config panel.

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You can't make the adjustment to configure split LAN tunneling from your side. You have to get your corporate IT department to make enable split LAN tunneling for your VPN connection profile. This is done to prevent users from creating back doors into corporate networks.

Don't be surprised if they tell you, no, to this request.

7. kjjb0204

kjjb0204 Thread Starter

gotcha. I think I'll try hooking the printer up via usb to the dock so it will be a local printer to the thinkpad, and leave it via feth to the router. maybe i can use both connections....

8. hermes

hermes

We used to refuse it but the bandwidth demands from large numbers of home based users tunnelling their web browsing through our core connection became too much. When the carrier costs go up the decision goes upstairs.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice