1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing over my lan?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by petery, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petery

petery Thread Starter

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the right forum - hope so.

I have had a problem printing over my new local area network at home. I have a Celeron 800 (Win XP Pro) connected to a P4 (Win XP Home) via a router. The P4 has 2 printers connected to it - an HP inkjet and a Brother HL1440 Laser with 2mb of memory.

Both printers print fine from the P4. The HP prints fine from the Celeron, but the Brother will only print 2 or 3 pages before stopping. It's like the print job has disappeared - as far as the Celeton is concerned the print job is finished, and as far as the printer is concerned the Celeron stopped sending data.

I've tried changing settings in Printer preferences (print as soon as starts spooling, print only after completed spooling). The printer driver is up to date. I'm not sure what else to do.

Many thanks

Peter

2. petery

petery Thread Starter

Just to clarify, it seems to me that I am able to print as much data as can be stored in the printer's memory (2MB) - the rest seems to overflow into the ether rather than queue up.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Thanks

Peter

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I know both of your PC's are WinXP but this might help.

http://solutions.brother.com/Library/faq/printer/prfaq0767/prfaq0767.html

It is about $46 to max out the memory on that printer from Crucial.com

But I am sure you could find some cheaper at a local computer store or on Ebay or if you ask nice someone around here may have some old 72 pin SIMMS laying around. The manual says you need at least 10mb if you are printing at 1200dpi. I think I might have a few 8mb simms laying around if you want one to try out.

4. petery

petery Thread Starter

This worked. Thanks so much for the help. Much appreciated.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Always a good idea to check the vendors website first or google.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice