1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing problem: use Adobe Photoshop

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bthomas, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bthomas

bthomas Thread Starter

I'm creating a template for a page to print on 8.5 x 11 inch paper (standard printer paper). My problem is that when I print my template out it should have an even border around the edges, about 0.8 inches, but it does not. My image prints with a large gap at the bottom of the page, medium gaps at the sides, and a very small gap at the top of the page. I'm printing this image out in Adobe Photoshop 7 and I've been up and down the page setup options and have no clue how to fix this problem. Any help will be appreciated

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    This could be the same problem that is caused in Word. In a graphics program, I would try this:

Make a pale gray rectangle on a standard size page and fit the rectangle all the way to the edge of the page. Print that page. Whatever space you have between the edge of the paper and the beginning of the gray area is the space your printer requires to pull the paper through itself and, thus, cannot print on that area.

If you can't figure it out in PS, maybe you can find out with Word:
    http://www.theofficeexperts.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1022
    See the "page borders don't print" part at the link.

HTH!

3. bthomas

bthomas Thread Starter

So basicaly I can't print all the way to the edge of my paper because of the limitations of my hardware(printer)? And if so I shouldn't pull my hair out trying to get my image to print to the edge because it won't happen? If this is true then thanks for enlightening me, I am still a bit of a novice to computer technology.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I'd bet the odds are 99% that it's the printer, yes. :)

If you take it to a printshop, and you want it printed ALL the way to the edge, they'll tell you to design it on, for instance, 8.75" x 11.25". They then print it on larger paper and trim it to 8.5 x 11. That's how printshops get ink to print all the way on the edge of the paper. AND, it's called a "bleed" ('cause otherwise, the ink would bleed out over the edge of the paper and onto the printer).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice