1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing problems and also can't renew ip address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mom2three, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mom2three

mom2three Thread Starter

HI! I have a desktop and 2 laptops. Besides everyday use, I use these to print coupons. Most coupons you are allowed to print twice…just click the back button and resend and it will print again. I haven’t had any problems with this until the last week or so. Both laptops will only print once.:( If I try to print the second one, after I click resend, it will show the little animation with dots going from the computer to the printer but nothing prints.:confused: Usually, after a few seconds my printer will make a sound like it is adjusting but still nothing happens. I have left this animation going for several hours and it doesn’t stop or give any kind of error message. This happens in Firefox and Chrome. My desktop does not have this issue. Also, sometimes I will try to print and it will tell me that I have already printed the number of coupons allowed when I know I haven’t printed that coupon before. I read that it looks at your IP address and that is how it knows you have printed your limit. Since I was sometimes getting the message that I had printed when I hadn’t, I thought I would try to renew my ip address thinking this might fix the problem. Which brings me to my second problem. When I tried to renew the ip address on both laptops I get a message stating something about not being able to do it because the “media is disconnected”. I looked for an answer to this online but no luck finding something that worked.

One more issue I’m having is that my husbands laptop (#1) doesn’t seem to apply the changes I make in the printer settings. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers but that didn’t help. I set it to print in grayscale and also lightened up the ink. It still would print in color and very dark wasting lots of ink. Somehow I got it to print in grayscale, (maybe after reinstalling drivers…I’m not sure) but it still ignores the ink consumption setting and prints very dark. Any ideas on this?

Sorry for the long post:eek:…tried to be specific. I hope I posted this in the right forum. The sysinfo for all 3 computers is below.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

A

Almost forgot….the printer is a canon pixma MP970

Desktop

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2046 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476874 MB, Free - 190175 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0CU409
    Antivirus: AVG, Updated: No, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

Laptop #1

OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3002 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1309 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 294097 MB, Free - 180440 MB; D: Total - 11143 MB, Free - 1861 MB;
    Motherboard: Wistron, 3612
    Antivirus: AntiVir Desktop, Updated and Enabled

Laptop #2

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3893 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1722 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 461725 MB, Free - 367599 MB; D: Total - 14909 MB, Free - 1863 MB; F: Total - 99 MB, Free - 88 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 166A
    Antivirus: AntiVir Desktop, Updated and Enabled

2. Maximaax

Maximaax

It does seem kind of wierd, but I'm pretty sure we'll find a solution :) Ok, first of all, where do you print the coupons from? Do you think the problem might be on the websites side? Have you installed any extensions/programs recently?
    Otherwise, have you had any other problems printing?

I'm sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions :)

3. mom2three

mom2three Thread Starter

Hi! Thanks for your reply. I print from a coupon website. They have a link that you click on and it takes you to where you print the coupon. I copied the link address below if you want to copy and paste to see what it looks like. Then you click on the print coupon button and get the little animation I described above and the coupon prints. Then you can click the back button and then resend and you once more get the animation and it should print a second coupon.

I don't think it's on the websites side because my desktop prints 2 just fine. No installation of anything I can think of recently. No other printing problems with anything else except for the one laptop ignoring my ink settings.

http://bricks.coupons.com/Start.asp...=&cl=&cp=&eb=&c=SL&p=3286581652&z=&r=&pc=&tc=

4. mom2three

mom2three Thread Starter

Actually, you may not be able to see the link I gave you unless you install the little coupon printing program (not sure of the exact term for this) to be able to print.

5. Maximaax

Maximaax

Ok. So I tried signing up. First of all it told me to change some of my settings for default printers and such:

1. Click the "Start" button on the lower left of your screen, Control Panel, and then on "Printers and Faxes".
    2. Right click on the printer you want to print with and select "Set as Default Printer".
    3. Right-click, choose Properties, and on the "Advanced" tab, make sure "Keep printed documents" is not checked.

I really don't know if this is the solution, but might as well give it a shot.
    Somehow, it told me that my printer wasn't supported, so I can't really tell you how I did :/ I'll tell you if I find out.

Also i found this:

http://couponing.about.com/od/Couponing101/a/Problems-Printing-Online-Coupons.htm
    It's also got some other common problems (other than the browser-problem)

(and also these)
    http://attentiontargetshoppers.com/2011/05/problems-printing-bricks-coupons/
    http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=987337

6. mom2three

mom2three Thread Starter

Just checked and I already have all those settings correct. Also read on the 3 links you provided. I have read things similar to those and none of it really seems to fit my problem. I can print the coupons...just not twice. I'm so frustrated.

Thanks for your help and let me know if you think of anything else to try.

7. Maximaax

Maximaax

That is very weird... All I can say right now is to contact them:

http://bricks.coupons.com/help/resources.asp

(You'll need to go to contact us, top right of the page)
    Otherwise, maybe some other members might have the answer to this question? (that means help us out here ;) )
    Hopefully that will help? I really don't know what else to say, sorry :(

8. mom2three

mom2three Thread Starter

Well, I'm not giving up. I hate it when I can't figure something out. I will be contacting Bricks and see what they say. Thanks for your help!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice