1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing Problems

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by eadie, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eadie

eadie Thread Starter

Have multiple users that are having the same problem in printing... also goes across several applications, PDF and office suite (2K, 03 & 07)
    When going to print... select file print and then properties to print landscape rather than the default portrait... however it then prints in portrait despite the change.
    If we go to page setup and change to landscape it will print in landscape...however the page then is setup for landscape and will have to change it back to portrait.
    Have tried multiple machines and printers... all coming up the same... also have tried not just the networked printers but the IP direct and USB printers...
    If any of you knowledgeable people have seen this before and have a fix it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    E

2. eadie

eadie Thread Starter

Had some friends try the print/properties/landscape from their businesses and they have the same problem... can do the landscape from page setup but not from the print... seems to be a Microsoft problem... one of the patches? don't seem to have the problem in anything but Word and Acrobat... but think the acrobat problem is that it pulls from Word...

3. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

I noticed the same thing when I tried to print a PDF file yesterday, using print/printer/properties/landscape. It still came out portrait. I don't recall having that problem before, and I've never had it do that using page setup instead.

4. eadie

eadie Thread Starter

One of the users here was saying it was fine 2wks ago... however it is hard to judge by this user as they swear they saw us 3 days ago and it was really 3wks.

5. eadie

eadie Thread Starter

Still the problem persists... has no one any ideas? we've redone the print drivers... no effect

6. GCDude

GCDude

What printers/drivers are you using?

You are setting both printing preferences (general tab) and printing defaults (advanced tab) in printer properties? i sometimes see people with this problem, who do not set one of these.

7. eadie

eadie Thread Starter

Mostly we are using HP & Dell printers... we have downloaded the latest drivers available.
    Now under my particular one (Dell) I do not see an advanced button... we go to print/ printer properties and select landscape... and it prints in portrait. I read elsewhere on the great world wide network that it is just how it is. that if we want to print in landscape have to go into page setup...doesn't seem like that should be right since it is an option under the other... but perhaps it is.
    I hope I answered your question

8. GCDude

GCDude

Whats the specific printer driver you are using and the specific printer model?

9. eadie

eadie Thread Starter

Ok I can only give you what I have on my machine... but please note that there are multiple users using multiple printers and thus multiple drivers. but for my machine and the few people right here next to me using the same printer
    Printer is a Dell Laser Printer M5200
    Driver is for the Dell Laser Printer M5200 PS3

10. GCDude

GCDude

Well i went on the dell site with the intention of downloading the driver and taking a look, but you have to download a 232mb package. Sorry but im not willing to install all that dell rubbish. If you can point me in the direction of where i can just get the driver, ill take a look, otherwise theres not much more i can suggest.

Unless you want to give me the HP model/driver numbers/versions. I know you can just get the drivers for HP printers.

11. eadie

eadie Thread Starter

Ok got my husband to give me his information since I only have Dells near me... and he is experiencing the same problem at his job... on both Word and PDF files
    HP LaserJet 4250 Driver: 4000 Series PS

12. GCDude

GCDude

Well i had a 4000 Series PS driver on my machine so added a printer with that driver. It seems to print a test print fine in both porttrait and landscape (suing printing prefs on general tab in printer properties). Have u tries this? Or is the actual applications that are cauing problems?

13. eadie

eadie Thread Starter

Specifically it is word and pdf files that are not printing correctly unless we go into page setup... if we go to print then print properties and change to landscape it continues to print in portrait.
    "Have multiple users that are having the same problem in printing... also goes across several applications, PDF and office suite (2K, 03 & 07)
    When going to print... select file print and then properties to print landscape rather than the default portrait... however it then prints in portrait despite the change.
    If we go to page setup and change to landscape it will print in landscape...however the page then is setup for landscape and will have to change it back to portrait.
    Have tried multiple machines and printers... all coming up the same... also have tried not just the networked printers but the IP direct and USB printers..."
    We are thinking that it is probably something in Word itself... seeing as how it is across different OS, various releases of Office, different printers, connections and drivers.

14. GCDude

GCDude

Ah, just tried Word and see exactly the same thing as u. hmmmm, time for little test.

15. eadie

eadie Thread Starter

found this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304433/
    Cannot Print in Landscape Orientation
    If you select Landscape orientation in the Properties dialog box for the printer instead of selecting Landscape orientation in the Word document, you may have a problem printing in landscape orientation.

To correct this problem, set the orientation for the printer properties back to Portrait, and then select Landscape orientation in the Page Setup dialog box in Word.

To access the Properties dialog box for the printer, click Print on the File menu, and then click Properties.

To select Landscape orientation in Word, follow these steps: 1. On the File menu, click Page Setup.
    2. Select the Paper Size tab.
    3. Select the setting that you want in the Apply to list.
    4. Select Landscape for the Orientation setting, and then click OK.
    If you still cannot print in landscape orientation after you verify the settings in the printer properties and in Word, contact the manufacturer for an updated version of the printer driver. See the "References" section later in this article for information about contacting a third-party vendor.

So it would appear that Microsoft is aware of the problem and that they don't have a solution just the work around

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice