1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing Remote Downlevel Document on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by noaw, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. noaw

noaw Thread Starter

Hi,
    Here's my problem:
    I have a home wireless network with 2 desktop computers and 2 laptops using it. I connected a new HP Officejet 4500 wireless to this network (it's set on one of the desktop computers that has Windows XP).
    I installed the drivers on all the computers and have no problem printing regular documents from any of them (using Office, browsers, notepad etc.), BUT -
    I need to print documents from a certain old MS-DOS program. I set the network printer as LPT1 (using net use command), and I see the document is sent to the printer on the computer that the printer's connected to - but it appears there as Remote Downlevel Document, and doesn't print. It's on the printer's window, but then nothing happens and it disappears from there.
    Anyone has any idea why? And what can I do in order to print the documents? :confused:
    Thanks ahead!

2. noaw

noaw Thread Starter

Just 2 more things:
    1. I understood that there's some virus that can cause this problem, but no viruses were found on the computer
    2. Before I bought the printer I did an experiment to print to a network computer set to LPT1 from the same MS-DOS program, using a laptop that has Windows 7, and it worked just fine.

3. noaw

noaw Thread Starter

Any help\idea\suggestion would be greatly appreciated.. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/980559