1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing through my router

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by purplemnms, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. purplemnms

purplemnms Thread Starter

I have a HP laser jet 4000. I use microsoft XP. My DSL is plugged in through my router. My problem is that this Laser jet is use with an ethernet cord, I pluged this in my router, but I can print. When I add this printer, what port needs to be selected? I bought this printer from work I know it works, I used it yesturday. I am having trouble setting this up can someone help please. Thanks

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

What is the printers IP address? Make sure it has an IP address that is on your network as well as the proper Subnet Mask.

Make sure when you install it, you select Standard TCP/IP port.

3. purplemnms

purplemnms Thread Starter

I did'nt know the printer had an IP address how do I find it?

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

How else would you print to it thru your network? You could just hook it up to your computer directly as well. I would assume it has a USB or Paralles port. I can't remember on that model. We had them when I worked at my last job.

Download the user manual from HP and it will show you how to set the IP address on it.

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Your printer should have instruction on how to manually set the IP address to be on the same subnet as your PC. If the printer is being assigned a dynamic IP address by your router you can use network scanning software to see everything that is connected to the network along with it's respective IP address.

Regards,
    Rollin

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice