1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

printing to pdf from Pagemaker 7.0

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by T-Bone, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-Bone

T-Bone Thread Starter

I have "placed" an image (jpg) into a pagemaker document. When I try to print the pagemaker document to a pdf file, the image quality is is lost on the pdf. The jpeg file itself is 300 dpi, and when I print the pagemaker file to an actual printer, the quality is still good. Somehow I'm loosing image quality when I'm printing using the distiller, but it only occurrs on the jpeg portion of the pagemaker file - all other graphics and text appear fine in the pdf. My distiller is set to 1200dpi.

Any ideas? I'm using Pagemaker 7.0 and Adobe Acrobat 5.0.

Thanks.

2. slipe

slipe

I have no problems in InDesign and I think the process is the same as with PageMaker. I don’t have the full Acrobat and just use the distiller that came with InDesign. It has no settings and I don’t think it can be accessed directly. So my guess is that there is something in your distiller settings that are messing up the transition.

I have been surprised at the image quality from the PDF files. I can blow them up in Acrobat Reader and they are tack sharp and blow up as well as the originals. The only time my images are less than great is when I use a smaller image and fit it to a larger frame. But that is to be expected.

You might try lowering your distiller settings to 300 PPI. There isn’t a consumer printer made that can use more than that - don't confuse printer DPI with input PPI. The printer makes a LOT of dots to represent a pixel.

Under File in InDesign there is a “PDF Styles”. I would put it on “Press” or “Print” if PageMaker has the same dialog box. If it got set to e-books or screen it might save at a lower quality regardless of the distiller setting.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!