1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing using lpt5 & lpt6

Discussion in 'Networking' started by salv, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salv

salv Thread Starter

Hi, I have a dos programs that uses lpt5 & lpt6, and because we were using novell server I just send the capture command and I will work.
    But we are switching to Windows 2000 server, and my windows 98 terminal, send the message "Error 15: the specified drive letter or device is invalid" when I issue the command "net use lpt5: \\server\printer1". I tried to created the printer in the windows 98 folder, and when I tried to capture the port 5, it will send the message "the computer or sharename could not be found".
    Do you have any ideas? Do I have to tweak the registry?, Please I need your help, Thanks
    Salvador

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

With switching to the Windows 2000 server are you sure the \\server\printer1 portion is correct? If this dos program is the only one using this lpt5 and lpt6 than technically you don't need to have a print driver loaded at all because your sending the print to \\server\printer1 and that driver should do all the work.

It should be like this - Dos application - dos LPT pinter - Network server - server print que - printer

Another thing to check is in dos do a net use and make sure there isn't already an LPT5 and 6 though that should come up with an error about it already existing not a device invalid error.

3. salv

salv Thread Starter

thanks for your input, but, when I tried to use net use as lpt5 I get the error 15, as I mentioned before, if I use the command with lpt1-lpt3, it does work, so that mean that I can see the server and printer.
    I'm trying to figure out where do I have to modify in windows, so it will recognize lpt5 & 6.
    Any ideas?
    Salvador

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice