1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing web pages in XP - landscape only?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jelleym, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

Do other XP users experience this?

If I want to print a web page (IE6 browser) the only way it doesn't truncate text on the right is if I set it to landscape mode (vs. portrait).

Crazy! :(

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Web pages are generally designed by the authors to be viewed on-screen, and not printed.

Therefore the side will usually be truncated when printed, its not a fault of your system, its the way the pages are designed.

Web pages that are printable often have a "printer friendly" version.

If it prints well on portrait mode, it usually does not look as good on-screen.

You will note that your screen aspect ratio is certainly not portrait mode, its closer to landscape mode. Therefore the outcome is predictable.

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Also along the same line as kiwiguy said,
    If you "copy" the text off of most pages and "paste" it into a simple program like notepad, it will be a long running line of sentences. The returns are created by your browser, making it look more like a paragraph.
    As far as the screen goes, What you see...is not always what you get :(

4. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

No, no, it isn't that. There's something wrong with my system because when I printed the attached VitaminShoppe shopping cart at the local library the page printed perfect.

And they had WinXP + IE6 just like me.

But on my computer (also WinXP IE6) it truncated as in the attached screenshot.

What can I do?

Attached Files:

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

It looks like you have your margins set too wide. Check the properties.

6. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

??
    I right-clicked [display-properties]
    Then what?
    Please clarify step by step.
    Thanks.

7. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Not the display properties...........the print properties. Check the margins.

8. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

For future reference:

Anyone who experiences this "truncation" problem in future, here's the solution - which someone elsewhere finally, finally, finally deigned to enlighten me - see, it hadn't occurred to him that I was ignorant of this simple fact.

Within the browser toolbar up above, therein lies the solution:

Click:
    File
    Page Setup
    Change Margins

(same as you would in WordPad or Word)

It's as simple as that - except I asked & asked both now & in the past & it never occurred to anyone that I was ignorant of this - reminiscent of a different occasion when it never occurred to anyone (even the seller) that the used laser printer I bought wasn't working for the simple fact that there wasn't toner inside! They even went so far as to speculate that I was ripped off... :rolleyes:

By way of analogy:
    I hadn't noticed the toner amidst the camouflage of the packaging, so I'd thought it was already inside. Similarly, I can't know all there is to know amidst Windows/browsers' endless menu's, so it's as if desperately-needed info is "camouflaged" amidst all UN-needed static.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice