1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing - Windows 7 and Airport

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sonyapaz, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sonyapaz

sonyapaz Thread Starter

I'm running Windows 7, but my work uses an Airport to manage the network. Everytime I've upgraded my laptop OS or reinstalled to clean it up I've had to spend days trying to get it to print again. I can connect to the wireless fine, and if I plug the printer in directly via USB, it prints so it is neither the wireless or the drivers that are faulty.

I had this same problem when I (briefly) had Vista on my computer but that was two years ago and I don't remember how I fixed it then, though I think it may have had something to do with installing XP drivers.

HP Pavilion tx 2000
    HP Laserjet 4000
    Windows 7

I'd love some help here as I don't want to spend days of my work time trying to fix this.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This HP Getting Started Guide says ...

Are we to assume that you used a parallel to USB cable to "plug the printer in directly via USB,"? And that you want to use the printer while it is connected similarly to another computer?

Do you find the other computer? And the printer? Connect to it? But a test page won't print? Any error messages at whatever step fails?

3. sonyapaz

sonyapaz Thread Starter

I don't know if we bought an adapter or what, but the printer is hooked up with a typical USB cord (reg USB on one end and the kinda square plug on the other end). That USB is usually plugged into an Airport, but if i remove it from the airport and plug into my laptop I can print. That is rather inconvenient, however.

Other computers on the network (both mac's) can print wirelessly, and PCs have been on it before. I can see other computers on the network, and even other printers in the department, but not this one. I think I need to set up a TCP/IP port to the Airport's IP address, but I have no idea how to find it.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Look on one of the computers that can print to that printer, and see how its port is set. Then you should be able to duplicate it by changing the (directly connected) printer that you have already installed.

5. sonyapaz

sonyapaz Thread Starter

I would do that (and in fact I've tried to glean some info from them) but as I mentioned before they are both mac's. My PC is now the only PC that is or will be hooked up to the network.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The Airport's IP address is your Default Gateway ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG

I don't know if that will also be the printer's address.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice