1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printing Word

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by almasaid, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. almasaid

almasaid Thread Starter

This may not be the best place for this question but I don't see a printer category. I can print documents from email, but when I try to print from Word, the HP Deskjet 842C goes through the motions but doesn't release any ink. I've gone all through the troubleshooting but they don't touch on this problem. Has this happened to others? Has someone found a solution?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi almasaid, and welcome to TSG.

Never had it happen to me.

Does this happen for all MS-Word documents?

Does anything show up in Print Preview?

What version of Word are you using?

When you say the printer, "goes through the motions," does it just quickly feed through a blank sheet of paper or does the print head go back and forth as well?

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It is quite possible that printing from email used all colors to make black (as it's HTML coded), while printing from Word uses black only.

If your black cartridge is empty, that may be the result.

4. almasaid

almasaid Thread Starter

Thanks for your interest, guys. To answer your replies, this happens with all MS Word documents I have tried, except those in emails. Notepad won't print either. Test page prints OK. The printer head goes back and forth as if printing, but discharges no ink in the process. I'm using MS Word 2003. I printed a colour document from email, then tried to print from MS Word with no luck, then a b&w email. The emails print just fine. Weird, eh?

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Found this tidbit in a Google Cache of a site that is gone or down for the moment:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...ges&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Re: HP Deskjet 5550 & Blank Pages by longstride (edited 7/13/05 10:09 AM)

Looks like I found the problem: The 5550's driver software (version 7.1) is apparently not compatible with XP SP2's "Data Execution Prevention" feature.

Go to My Computer, right click & select Properties. Choose the Advanced panel. Click the first Settings button, in the Performance Section. Choose the Data Execution Prevention panel. Choose the first radio button, "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only", not the second one "Turn on DEP for all ...."

The first radio button (essential programs only) was what was selected when I got the machine, but I myself had upped the setting to the more restrictive level.​

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Please consider the black ink cartridge issue.

Some programs will always uses all colors to make black, others will only use the black. That is a logical explanation for your problem (logical but not guaranteed)...

It really does sound as if your black ink is out, blocked or otherwise "broken"

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am not familiar with this particular HP printer but I would be surprised if the HP software/drivers that came with it did not include any kind of nozzle test or nozzle alignment utility. That would be the quickest way to determine if the problem is in the cartridge itself.

Almasaid, did the troubleshooting you mentioned in the original post include a nozzle test? By any chance, are you using a non-Microsoft program for your e-mail client?

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The printer will have a "self test" facility (which will rule out any Windows or driver issues) but unsure what will initiate it for that model. Often it is a power-on with one or more buttons held down, the manual will specify it.

9. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I had a similar problem with printing anything from IE which was due to setting the sum of left and right paper margins equal to the paper width (so nowhere left to print).

10. almasaid

almasaid Thread Starter

When I go to My Computer, Properties is not an option so I can't follow through with the remainder of the instructions.
    I wonder why the printer would suddenly stop printing anyway. I've been printing pages from MS Word all along. Suddenly, a few days ago, I printed one side of a page, then tried to print the other side but nothing came out on the page. Later I discovered I could still print e-mails.

11. almasaid

almasaid Thread Starter

Thanks, but not my problem. None of my MS Word documents are printing.

12. almasaid

almasaid Thread Starter

The Printer Test Page prints clearly, both colour (the Windows logo) and black and white.

13. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you running Windows XP?

Here is another way to get in to the same place in the instructions:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panels -> System
    Advanced Tab -> Performance Settings Button
    Data Execution Prevention Tab

Attached Files:

14. almasaid

almasaid Thread Starter

Mr. Fixit just visited and solved the problem. It is indeed the black ink cartridge - empty. I guess the printer did fetch some black from the colours to print the test page and the e-mails. I'm off to buy a new cartridge. Thanks for your help.

15. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Thanks for letting us know.

I was 99% certain this was the case, as I detailed twice above. I was getting quite frustrated at this end, knowing that it was almost certain to be the cause and simply remedied...

It is the most common cause of "not printing black - sometimes"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice