1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Privacyremover and virtumonde

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by can18, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. can18

can18 Thread Starter

About a week ago I ran into the virtumonde/privacyremover messages on my desktop - along with problems with internet explorer, not being able to install antivirus programs, restore points deleted, etc.

Long story short, I managed to get symptom-free in about two days, but I (of course) figured something had to be left behind and ran some scans to look for any lurking problems. I've been running various scanners (avg, adaware, malwarebytes, kapersky, superantispyware & hijackthis) and each one detected/removed a few more threats that the previous ones seemed to have missed.

By the time I got to Kaspersky (read about it on this site, thanks to sjpritch25), it seemed to detect the last of it. I deleted what Kaspersky found and superantispyware hasn't come up with anything, so I'm *hoping* I've finally got to the end of this. The only problem I have right now is that winamp crashes whenever I try to open it (never used to before).

I ran hijackthis, but don't really know how to interpret it (I've attached a log file). What this all boils down to is that I really just want to know how I can ensure this is completely gone - since a lot of the scanners I've run before have missed things.

Thanks.

(P.S. AVG keeps processes running even after I close it in the system tray. In Task Manager the process is called "avgrsx.exe" and when I try to end it (or the tree) by force nothing happens. I've had to uninstall it to run other scanners, and that seems to be the only way to make the process go away. I'm hoping this is just an unfortunate quirk of AVG, but I thought I'd check with the experts just to be extra sure it's not indicative of a problem.)

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/746433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice