1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Privileged instruction... Eh?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Katzy, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katzy

Katzy Thread Starter

Tried to load CoffeeCup Gif Animator, today, as I've done many times.

Today, though, it loaded up and up popped this little box with a big red cross in it. "Privileged instrustion" it said. Nothing else. I clicked on "OK" and the box disappeared. Then came straight back. I clicked "OK" and it disappeared. Then it came straight back. I couldn't access the program, so I did the three-fingered salute.

"Hmm", I thought. The obvious first thing to do, was to reinstall CoffeeCup.

It did the same thing.

"Hmmm", I mused "I'll try uninstalling, then reinstalling".

It did the same thing.

Not very helpful, is it? "Privileged instruction"?

I suspect it's a Windoze message, rather than a CoffeeCup one, though I may be mistaken (I'm good at that!).

A search revealed it to be "A machine code instruction that may only be executed when the processor is running in supervisor mode. Privileged instructions include operations such as I/O and memory management.", which tells me something, but nothing that's helpful to me... Memory? I have 384meg of RAM, if that helps. Virtual memory is handled by the system.

I also found something about this with G-Force GFX cards. I have a G-Force GTS/G-Force Pro card, but I haven't had this problem, before!

Any ideas as to what the hell "Privileged instruction." might mean, in this context? Or, rather, how on Earth I can stop it happening?

Ta!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice