1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Privoxy installation (clicked solved by mistake)

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by nextup, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nextup

nextup Thread Starter

Enclosed below is the section from the manual about installing Privoxy for Windows and I don't understand the following:

1) The 2 arguments shown at the beginning of the section are talking about changes that already have been made to Windows and not something I should be entering on a command line somewhere? Right?

2) I think that I'm supposed to manually change information for the user and start up and that I do this through services.msc but what files am I supposed to change once Window Services opens? Not being a systems person this is not obvious to me. Am I looking for user and start up files or should I be looking for some Privoxy file?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

NEXTUP
    "2.1.3. Windows

Just double-click the installer, which will guide you through the installation process. You will find the configuration files in the same directory as you installed Privoxy in.
    Version 3.0.5 beta introduced full Windows service functionality. On Windows only, the Privoxy program has two new command line arguments to install and uninstall Privoxy as a service.
    Arguments:--install[:service_name]
    --uninstall[:service_name]

After invoking Privoxy with --install, you will need to bring up the Windows service console to assign the user you want Privoxy to run under, and whether or not you want it to run whenever the system starts. You can start the Windows services console with the following command: services.msc. If you do not take the manual step of modifying Privoxy's service settings, it will not start. Note too that you will need to give Privoxy a user account that actually exists, or it will not be permitted to write to its log and configuration files."

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice