1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Probelm with AMD Phenom 9850

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fracture, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fracture

Fracture Thread Starter

Okay, so, with some suggestion from a friend, and for my experience with AMD, i built a computer in the past month, using a DFI Lanparty 790FX-M2RS motherboard, and an AMD Phenom X4 9850BE. Shortly after, i decided to get a new CPU cooler for it. I was using my computer for a few hours before my new cooler arrived, so i thought i'd have no problem with taking the old one out and replacing it and the old thermal paste with AS5. When i went to take out the stock heatsink, the whole thing, processor and all, came out. The processor was stuck to the bottom of the heatsink via the thermal paste. With some careful pulling, i managed to get the processor off, and saw that there were some bent pins. I bent them back, put some AS5 on it, and then installed the new heatsink and started it up, hoping it would work (as it came out of the socket without the securing lever being released). It started, but when i ran CPU-Z, my FSB read 169.5 instead of 200, whereas the BIOS still said 200. now, the FSB in CPU-Z is consistent with the BIOS, but the multiplier is at 6.25, and if i change it, it still goes back to 6.25. It flucuates now and them, with some of the cores going back up to 12.5 multi, but quickly back down to 6.25. Now, i have posted all this on the AMD support forum, and have been told that it was possibly related to the BIOS/Motherboard, but haven't really been told anything other than that.

So, to sum most of that up, my phenom is running at half of what it should and i have no idea if it's the processor or board and i needs help (which, unfortunately, is all i seem to do on forums like these... :( )

2. Compiler

Compiler

You might have damaged a pin or two and its telling the motherboard that its either a different type of CPU or its running in a reduced mode.

Yeah.. pulling off heat-sinks with ArticSilver is more dangerious than thermal-pads... The trick, rotate the HSF a bit back and forth several times... pull a bit straight up... twist.. pull up. Pull straight up so that IF the CPU comes out with the HSF - the pins are straight. This is perhaps why the intel design has a cover over the CPU socket so its impossible to have this happen. ;(

I doubt its a bios issue if your CPU was working fine until you ripped it out.

3. Fracture

Fracture Thread Starter

Well, there was a damaged pin, one which was slightly bent. I went to straighten it carefully, and the pin fell of... So it doesn't post. So i put bck in my Athlon X2 4800+ 2.5Ghz processor, and it had the same problem as the 9850. The multiplier is much lower than it should be (currently running at 1Ghz).

4. Compiler

Compiler

Well.. broken pin = dead CPU... unless you have the ability to re-attach the pin :(

Sounds like the mobo was damaged too... geez. :( A question, when you removed the HSF - was the PSU still plugged into a wall - but the master switch was ON - while the computer was "off"? If so, there is still power running through the system.

5. Fracture

Fracture Thread Starter

I always unplug the PSU from the wall before installing/removing any hardware.

6. Compiler

Compiler

Reset the CMOS on the board... 3 pin jumpers near the batter - refer to your manual.

If that still doesn't work... perhaps the socket was damaged. I've pulled AMD CPUs out about 5~6 times over the years without any damage. Always an odd momen... Hey - no CPU! ;)

7. Fracture

Fracture Thread Starter

XD I forgot to mention that i cleared the CMOS (Board has a 3 pin jumper on the rear I/O panel). Don't know if i didn't it correctly. Gonna give it a try 1 more time in the morning, then if it doesn't work, then it looks like a new board for me (DFI support wrote it off as physical damage on my part, which, unfortunately it was, so no replacement). Looks like i may just go back to a dual core, as i haven't as much video/audio editing as i used to, so getting a dual core saves me $80. I'll just wait till the 3.0Ghz dual cores come out or something (for AMD anyway).. Well, i'll get a new processor before i think about a new board anyway. I like this one because of the 6 USb ports on the back and the crossfire support (BTW, can anyone explain Hybird Crossfire or Crossfire(x8,x8)
    Another odd little tidibit: I left the comp on while i went in to work today for a few hours (and it happnes to be my day off, but that's irrelevant to this story). I get home, my comp is still on, i run CPU-Z and AMD overdrive (which, for some odd reason isn't giving me the temps of the cores), and the processor is running at 2.5Ghz like it should, both cores. I think this stinking board has a mind of it's own... it just hates me XD
    One more quick question: What is the difference between the 790GX and 790FX AMD chipsets? Were i to go and purchase another DFI baord, the one i have has the 790FX chipset, but the one with the 790GX is only 5 dollars more on newegg. (this is assuming i have to buy a new board tho).

8. Compiler

Compiler

Well... when you check your CPU performance, are you doing it while the system is on load? Your system could be using Cool & Quiet which slows down the CPU when youre not doing anything.

Check with AMD on the chart differences between chipsets. Hybrid CF is for lower end graphic cards only.

You could use your current dual core with the replacement board.

9. Fracture

Fracture Thread Starter

I run CPU-Z right after startup, not under load. Cool n' Quiet is diabled, have an external fan controller which came with my Zalman cooler.

And i COULD use this processor with this computer, but i doubt my brother would buy my old one without it then XD.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!