1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem access public folder from Vista

Discussion in 'Networking' started by namo, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. namo

namo Thread Starter

I have Wireless home network between 3 XP computer and 2 Vista laptop. I have turn on the share folder in XP computer and Public folder Vista without password. The computers that has XP can access the the share folder of all computer but the Vista one can only access the share folder of XP.

So the problem is between Vista and Vista. When I open the public folder on the other machine, a box apear asking for user name and password but there is no password because the XP computer can access the folder normally.

2. ViprXX

ViprXX

try turning on the Network Discovery and File Sharing on the Vista computers along with the already turned on Public Folder Sharing on the vista pc's. Restart all the pc's after making those changes.

good luck

Later

3. namo

namo Thread Starter

File sharing nad network discovery was one from the beginning

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Vista's default is to prohibit file sharing if the Vista machine has no password.

5. namo

namo Thread Starter

But I can open Vista public folder from XP machine. As I said the problem is he sharing between vista and vista but there is no problem between XP to vista and Vista to XP

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd still make sure you have passwords on the accounts. You can also create a user account on the machine you're connecting to that matches the name/password as the connecting machine uses to login, which should eliminate the password prompt.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/834103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice