1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem access shares via multiple network adapters..

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xjulzkx, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xjulzkx

xjulzkx Thread Starter

Ok.. Where do I start.. file server is running win xp.

I have a file server setup, it has shared folders and it has two network adapters. One's wireless, and the other is wired.

The wired adapter is 192.168.1.60 (jandafs)
    The wireless adapter is 192.168.1.50 (jandafswifi)

Both are on the same system.

My problem is, I want to be able to go to \\jandafs\foldername and access my shares, and at the same time if I want to, I want to be able to access \\jandafswifi\foldername which is on the same system but via the second NIC.

When I use my laptop, I added the following to my hosts file in windows:

192.168.1.50 jandafswifi
    192.168.1.60 jandafs

I can now ping 192.168.1.60, jandafs, 192.168.1.50 and jandafswifi and they are resolving fine. But I can't access shares via jandafswifi or it's ip being 192.168.1.50. I can only access the shares via jandafs or it's ip 192.168.1.60.

I did some searching and found some people saying un-install client for microsoft windows, and file and printer sharing from the adapters, disable firewall and re-install them. Still no joy [​IMG]

Any help?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My guess is that the NetBIOS and Computer Browser service are going to recognize that both those IP addresses are representing the same computer, and only keep one set of shared names for the computer. I don't know enough about either of those to say this definitely. Just for the heck of it let's take a look on the "server" ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following commands:

nbtstat -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. avisitor

avisitor

If you register the names with DNS, it might work, however, a question that begs being asked is why you're running a file server over WiFi?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice