1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem Accessing BIOS In HP Pavilion 725n

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by flavallee, Jul 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Frank
    A friend of mine has a HP Pavilion 725n and needs to run the recovery CD with Windows XP to start from scratch. Before he can do this, he needs to enter the BIOS so he can change the boot order of the CDROM drive and place it first in line. His HP is the same as my HP and advises you to access the BIOS by pressing the F1 key when the blue HP logo screen appears. He has attempted this several times with no luck. I had him insert the recovery CD, shut down his computer, wait 30 seconds, then restart it, but Windows loaded and bypassed the recovery CD.

What got this problem started was a friend of his who attempted to bypass the password log-in screen to use his computer. It screwed things up so bad that Windows XP would no longer load. An attempt to revert to a previous good configuration didn't work. He finally contacted a computer technician that he knows. She worked on it for several hours and couldn't get it going, so she formatted the hard drive and installed Windows ME. He doesn't like Windows ME and wants Windows XP back.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

should have a message on bootup someplace telling which key to enter setup.

try, f1, f2, esc or you might consider calling hp or use another computer and go to the hp support site.

3. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The startup screen advises to press F1 to enter the BIOS setup. The HP site for his model computer advises the same thing.

4. maxmelbin

maxmelbin

F11 will take you to advanced BIOS , see if u can access Boot options from there ..

other wise for the sake of recovery , ur friend can hit F10 on HP invent screen , which will take the system to HP recovery screen , can click on advanced options and continue on a destructive recovery .... (this may not work if a complete format using Fdisk has been done )...

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to what he told me, the computer technician completely wiped out the hard drive and installed Windows ME.

6. maxmelbin

maxmelbin

thats bad news ...
    any way
    while booting on HP INvent screen ,u can try tapping the ESC key , it will give u a boot option ... choose cd rom and continue ..

but if u cannot get into BIOS by hitting F1 , either Keyboard is bad or BIOS is bad .. u need to get HP to replace the MB ... 1 800 474 6836
    but before u do that , u can try to do a Power drain , unplug all cords and cables from tower and press down the power button for 45 sec ...

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

maybe the f1 key is bad on the keyboard, stranger things have happened.

8. Ember87

Ember87

Actually, I've done some research in the area of HP BIOS, and with a lot of their models, formatting will remove access to the BIOS. I can't remember the technical explanation for it, something about the memory allotted to it being too small, so it took up residence on the C: Drive. I tried formatting a used laptop for a friend, which is when I came across this. Know any good BIOS managers that run through Windows?

9. maxmelbin

maxmelbin

i am not sure about that Ember .. formatting a HDD can NEVER trouble the BIOS atleast in HP systems .......
    You can remove the HDD , but still go to BIOS , BIOS is independent on HDD ...

10. Ember87

Ember87

Well apparently we're getting information from very different sources then. But I have seen many angry people who use HP computers and cannot access their BIOS. What I posted above was, to the best of my recollection, the reason given.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I'll call him today and make him aware of all this. He can decide where to go from there.

I've had HP computers for 7 years, but I'm thinking more and more about my next computer being a Dell or E-Machine.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/248438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice