1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem accessing external hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by levannak, May 9, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. levannak

levannak Thread Starter

roperty > I can no longer access my D: drive (1 TB Seagate HDD, connected via USB) used for storing my file backups. From Windows Explorer I get the message of "D:\ is not accessible". In FreeCommander file manager I can see the drive, but previusly I got the message of "The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable", and now no folders or files visible and CHKDSK D: /r (or any other variant) run from there abends.

However, I can see all the folders and files on the drive in Command Prompt using dir D: and lower level dirs. Device Manager says "This device is working properly" and the driver is up to date, while Disk Management says that it is a Healthy Primary partition, but when trying to run Properties >Tools > Check it abends with the message of "The disk check could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk".

From this I assume that the problem is in Windows 10 rather than the hardware. My OS has been acting weird for some time now, but I've ran SFC /scannow and that came back clean.

Help, how do I get my drive back?

Levannak

PS. SysInfo output, which curiously does not show myD: drive:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3967 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 2047 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 917 GB (693 GB Free); G: 931 GB (245 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0XR1GT
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. Sponsor

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Do you have other copies of the backed up files ?

4. levannak

levannak Thread Starter

Yes I do now.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Try to format the external drive.

6. levannak

levannak Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. It turned out that the problem was with the permissioningof the drive. Once I fixed that the drive became visible and accessible. I've then formatted it just to be on the safe side. It seems to be working OK now.

Lanctus likes this.
  7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Glad you fixed it. :)

(if you're sure it's fixed please mark this thread Solved with the link at the top of your page).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice