1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem activating Windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Niktoa, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niktoa

Niktoa Thread Starter

Last night around 2:00 AM my Hard drive crashed, so Today I get reinstall everything on my Hard drive. I normally dual boot Windows XP and a Distribution of Linux so I started by partitioning my Hard drive and Installing Windows XP. I Have had this copy of Windows XP for a long time now and refuse to upgrade to Windows Vista.

So once it's done installing on the partition I made for it I download some N'vidia drivers and Firefox, then I was going to activate Windows. So I clicked on the Activate Windows option in the Start menu and and began to activate Windows over the internet untill I got this message:

"According to our records, the number of times you can activate Windows with this product key has been exceeded etc..."

So I went to google and began to search for a work around, I found that if I activate over the phone Microsoft will sort it out and I can activate Windows. I proceeded to the activate Windows over the phone option and was givin two numbers to call. The first number was out of service and the second number just gave me a busy signal. I then went to Microsoft's website to search for a number to call, I found one but it cost's $60.00 to speak with a CSR.

I have a totally legal copy of Windows XP, and I am not paying $60.00 so that I can use something I already paid for!

I then went back to google and found another way, that involves editing the registry. While I am familiar with editing the registry I don't know if this is legal and I don't know if I will be able to download updates from Microsoft since the Windows Update service requires you to have a "Genuine Copy" of Windows.

Is there any legal way I can activate my copy of Windows without having to pay $60.00 to speak with a Microsoft CSR?

Thank you
    -Niktoa

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I proceeded to the activate Windows over the phone option and was givin two numbers to call. The first number was out of service and the second number just gave me a busy signal.

Hi and welcome. Keep calling the 800 number until you get someone who can help you.

There is NO WAY we can help you get around your problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice