1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem adding IDE HDD to ASUS A7N8X-E with existing SATA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soheilrz, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soheilrz

soheilrz Thread Starter

Hello

I am trying to add a second HDD (Maxtor IDE 160GB) on my ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Mob which has an 80GB SATA HDD. The OS is WIN 2K (SP4).

Before adding the IDE, BIOS reads Primary Master=None & Primary Slave=None, yet the PC boots up just fine. Also, under advance BIOS page, SATA appears as HDD-0. The boot order is: 1)floppy, 2)CDROM, 3)HDD-0.
    IDE jumper is set as slave before adding it to the Mob. As soon as IDE is added, the PC wants to boot up to it which of course has no OS causing the boot to halt.
    I then set the jumper as master; the PC still wants to boot up to the IDE. Please note: the IDE HDD has been formatted “logical” using Max Blast software.

Can anyone shed a light on this. I’m getting very frustrated, hating to give up on a perfect 160GB IDE HD.

Thanks very much,
    Soheil

2. batharoy

batharoy

With both drives hooked up try changing the boot order in bios to,
    1)floppy 2)cd-rom 3)hdd-1

3. soheilrz

soheilrz Thread Starter

I tried that. It boots up to the point of saying "boot from CDROM", and then halts.

4. saikee

saikee

It is your God given right a PC user can dictate which hard disk can be booted first in the booting queue. Only very old Bios can't do it.

My A7N8X-E isn't one of them.

Sata has no master or slave.

When you insert an IDE disk and it is the only device in the ribbon cable it has no choice but become a master.

Fitting a slave to a ribbon cable that carries no master can result the mobo refusal to acknowledge the presence of the disk which is exactly what has happened in your case.

If you don't want to bother with mater and slave, just set every IDE disk to "cable select" and remember any disk connected to the end plug is automatically a master. The disk connected to a middle plug, with the end plug occupied, is automatically a slave.

5. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

To do cable select, you must set a jumper on your IDE hard drive as specified on the HDD(s).

Try setting the IDE HDD as master alone, without any other IDE devices connected, along with the SATA drive connected. Then go into BIOS and set boot order accordingly, then go to the second (depending on BIOS version) option of the menu and choose "Priority" - set the drive with an OS as the first, then obviously the other as second.

Let us know how it goes.

6. batharoy

batharoy

Try setting it to SCSI.

7. saikee

saikee

I know many are comfortable with master and slave jumper settings in a Pata or IDE disk but the "cable select" is by far the most flexible.

I had about 15 IDE disks and every one is set to "cable select" . I could place any of the disks in any master or slave position (using mobile racks or caddies), either internally or externally as USB disk and in any computer (with the same make mobile rack).

Any disk I bought I set the jump only once and never need to bother with it again.

8. soheilrz

soheilrz Thread Starter

:eek: :mad: :mad: Thanks very much for everyone's input.

1) I Set IDE HDD jumper at "Cable Select", then connected to Mob Primary with ribbon
    cable (middle connector). The other cable end is obvously unoccupied as there's no
    other IDE.

2) Boot order is: 1)floppy, 2)CDROM, 3)HDD-0. PC booted up normally, however there is
    no recognition of IDE HDD in BIOS as it reads: Primary Master=None & Secondary
    Master=None. Also, after boot the only drive that shows up is "C", just like before.
    No other drive other than CD/DVD drives is visible.

I then changed the boot order to: 1)floppy, 2)CDROM, 3)HDD-1, PC halts at this command
    "Boot from CD".

Anxisously awaiting additional guidance from anyone willing.

9. soheilrz

soheilrz Thread Starter

Thanks very much for everyone's input.

1) I Set IDE HDD jumper at "Cable Select", then connected to Mob Primary with ribbon
    cable (middle connector). The other cable end is obvously unoccupied as there's no
    other IDE.

2) Boot order is: 1)floppy, 2)CDROM, 3)HDD-0. PC booted up normally, however there is
    no recognition of IDE HDD in BIOS as it reads: Primary Master=None & Secondary
    Master=None. Also, after boot the only drive that shows up is "C", just like before.
    No other drive other than CD/DVD drives is visible.

I then changed the boot order to: 1)floppy, 2)CDROM, 3)HDD-1, PC halts at this command
    "Boot from CD".

Anxisously awaiting additional guidance from anyone willing.:eek:

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Unfortunately I have seen some boards where no matter what you do, they will always try to boot to ide drive if present. The only way I ever made that boot was buying a Promise controller card and attaching the ide drive to it.

11. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Tried a bios update or a new cable just to rule out that this is the issue?

12. saikee

saikee

You said in Post #8 & 9
    My post #4 said
    Are still you forcing a stand alone IDE disk as a slave and want it recognised by the mobo?

In an IDE cable a slave can only exists if there is a master.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice