1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem after recovering from Sever System Crash.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DrkSdBls, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DrkSdBls

DrkSdBls Thread Starter

So, my system Crashed, My Hard Drives were shredded, and I had to buy new Drives and a new Memory stickas well as have my OS completely reinstalled.

Well, I just got it back from the shop and it worked for a while. Then, I restarted my computer, I got the error message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows Root>\System32\noskrnl.exe
    Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

Now, I can't get into windows at all. The most I can do is Boot from the Windows CD. I've tried to run the Windows repair but every time My computer Restarts to go into the setup, I get that message again.

What can I do about this?

2. DrkSdBls

DrkSdBls Thread Starter

Any ideas on how to fix this Problem?

3. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    If I were to guess, I would say this is more a hardware issue (probably motherboard), but I can't say anything for certain. This one is pretty tough, so just be patient. An experienced member should be around to help.

Another possibility is that the CD itself is bad. Are there any scratches or marks on the CD?

4. DrkSdBls

DrkSdBls Thread Starter

No, CD's perfect.

This is going to suck. First my drives, then a stick of my Memory, then possiby my MB?

Newegg is seriously slipping.

Edit: Update.
    Either through Inspiration or just dumb luck, I decided to do a experiment and switched my IDE cables around. Now my CD Drive is my primary Master and my Master drive is my secondary Master. It loads now.

So, I'm thinking that my Primary IDE Cable Slot is Bad. Of Course, I don't having any other way to confirm this. I'd sure like to be sure before I send it back.

5. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Seeing as you replaced your drives and memory, you can probably safely rule them out as being the problem. However, you can try testing your memory and drives.

Memory: download Memtest86+. This tests the memory, and the connections to it for faults or errors. Let it run for a couple of hours.

Hard drive(s): go to the manufacturers website of the hard drive, you should find diagnostics software in the Downloads page.

6. DrkSdBls

DrkSdBls Thread Starter

Appearately, I can't seam to use either program since they each require to use a bootdisk (I have a defective diskdrive.)

Something else I've discovered. I can't seam to detect any drive that I set as my Slave. They'll detect in Bios but not in Windows.

7. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    You should be able to download ISO files and burn them to CD.

8. DrkSdBls

DrkSdBls Thread Starter

Tried that. ISO files won't read. At least, it won't boot read.

Don't exactly know what I'm suppose to do with it.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

First of all, did you burn the ISO file with a burner that supports that extension? It is not just a case of drag and drop or copy.

If you have Roxio or Nero, just opening the file will invoke the proper burn method.

The next problem is making sure the CD-ROM is first in the BIOS boot order -- have you done that?

Also if you have more than one memory module it is unlikely both are bad -- rotate one out at a time and try to boot.

And summarize again the current problem, is it still ntoskrnl? If so and you can boot to the recovery console you may have a fully expanded version that can be copied to the system32 folder.

10. DrkSdBls

DrkSdBls Thread Starter

Well, I used Nero so that's not a problem.

I used the Boot menu to boot from the CDROm drive as well.

I have more then one memeory stick but I'm only trying to test them one at a time to see if it's maybe my DIMM SLot that might be bad.

Ok. The whole ntoskrnl.exe problem was the issue until I switched my Master HD to my secondary IDE Slot. It may still be a problem but as I have it now, I"m bypassing that problem. My HD wouldn't seam toi get pass the ntoskrnl.exe error as long as my HD was on the primary IDE. This is why I think my main problem is with my motherbaord.

After I did that, I used the recovery console and it worked fine.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

When you boot from the secondary ide -- look in the Device Manager under IDE ATA/Atapi.

Is the primary recognized there? Is it recognized in the BIOS?

If it is recognized in Windows, it may or may not show a bad mark by it. Right click on it, select Properties > Driver, and uninstall the driver and reboot. It should get redetected. If you get a prompt asking you for a location for the drivers -- point it to:

c:\windows\inf

This is a "hidden" folder and you must have "show hidden files" enabled in Folder Options > View to see it.

12. DrkSdBls

DrkSdBls Thread Starter

Nope. It's not there.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Your motherboard controller took a dive then. Any chance it is still under warranty?

I don't think it will help, but you might try resetting the CMOS on the board -- either by using the physical jumper or removing the battery for a couple of minutes.

14. DrkSdBls

DrkSdBls Thread Starter

As a Matter of fact, it is still under warranty. That's why I've decided to go ahead and send it back. I've just had way too many problems with it to try to save it.

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yeah, you've definitely got an RMA item there then. Good luck with the replacement.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice