1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem after updating bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jack5577, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jack5577

jack5577 Thread Starter

Hello All,

I saw this tread which included some issues with AHCI and I have a few questions.

I recently upgraded my bios on my 965P-DS3 V3.3 motherboard from F10 to the newer F12 version. I went straight into settings and tweaked the Bios per a guide I found on hardocp forums.

I enable AHCI, and set some other SATA settings (my current drive was plugged into an orange socket). Rebooted, XP was sluggish to load and then blue screened. I then disabled AHCI and rebooted using optimized defaults. Only now I'm experiencing very loooooong load times on just about anything. Games, apps, the HDD light is on but it doesn't seem to be reading all the time. Things will eventually load but it's taking 10x as long as usual. So the HDD works, but something is definitely screwy.

So my question is due I revert back to F10 Bios, or do a windows repair or roll back to a restore point, or did I seriously screw up my HDD??? I think I know my course of action (roll back the bios), but I just wanted some more info before I take that risk and frustration of potentially screwing it up. So if anyone has a similar experience with the HDD and this board, plz let me know how you fixed it. Prior to the Bios Update things seemed to be working fine.

Thanks,
    Jack

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I put this in your own thread. When you have a problem, please start your own thread. The reason is with one problem, it is difficult at best to follow what has/has not been done. With two problems in one thread, it is impossible.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As to your problem, you cannot change the mode of the onboard sata controller and expect the system to boot ie change from standard ide to achi, raid, or whatever. The reason is each mode uses a different driver.

What I would do would be to change the mode of the sata controller back to whatever mode you had before. Now do a system restore to a point before you changed anything. See if that helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/623819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice