1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem after upgrade from win98 to winXP...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by merlinthecat, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. merlinthecat

merlinthecat Thread Starter

This was an upgrade, not a clean install. After the upgrade everything works but the system tools such as defrag, checkdisk and diskclean. Tried to reinstall through the add/remove programs without success. Can anyone give me some suggestions on what else to try? Thanks!

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

These are likely only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to problems with installing XP over the top of Win 98. You will have a much more effecient and problem free Operating System if you back up your data and perform a clean installation of XP

This is a good guide for doing that:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

wrs

3. merlinthecat

Yeah, I know. :( Unfortunately, this is my boss' home computer and he did the upgrade himself and has asked me to research this problem. I would want to do a fresh install myself but I don't think he wanted to lose all his data.

I'll check you the site you linked. Thanks! And if anyone else has any suggestions, I'd appreciate that, too. :)

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

5. merlinthecat

Thanks! That's interesting. I have to admit that where I work we are still running everything from Win95 to Win2000. There are a handful of XP machines around but I don't have much experience with them. I need to set one up so I can play with it.

I'll pass along the info from the article. I don't think his home PC has a CD burner and while he's actually pretty technically savy, I'm not sure I could get him to try to set up a network (borrowning a pc from work) to backup that way. I had a little trouble with the article because some of the steps got cut off on the far right hand side of the screen. Probably a browser issue but I'm using IE 5.5 so who knows...

We'll probably just punt and go with something like defrag from DiskKeeper since that is what he is really concerned about. I also think he should run some anti-spyware software. I'm not quite sure how long it's been since he did the upgrade but he might have some spyware on there. Any suggestions for a good one? I, personally, have Hijackthis but besides getting the log, I don't know what else to do with it. I also have spybot.

6. physician

physician

Another thing to think about that would help you here and help the boss would be to convince him to buy an external hard drive or even better yet one of the maxtor one touch back up drives. YOu could plug it into the computer, do a backup as mentioned in the earlier post, then do the fresh install of XP, then move the backed up files back onto the bosses computer. The maxtor is portable, plugs into the usb port and can be partitioned to back up more than one computer. YOur boss should have one of these to be used for all the computers when you put new OS's on them and you have the benefit of having an easier way to upgrade computers...doc

7. merlinthecat

Yes, those external HDs are great. At work, we just usually slave an old drive to the new one but an external drive would be good in this instance.

He has an external USB HD for his work computer. I think I'll suggest that he take that home to back up his original hard drive and then do a fresh install. Thanks!

8. physician

physician

You are quite welcome...doc

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/251027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice