1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem backing up to networked PC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jonathan1980, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonathan1980

jonathan1980 Thread Starter

Hi

I have an irritating problem with backing up data at work. We have a Win2kserver and use Areca, an open-source backup program to create backup scripts and schedule them using windows task scheduler.

All data is backed up each day to a removable portable HDD no problem. I have also created a script that executes a backup to the HDD of a client PC running windows XP.

I have created a shared folder on the HDD of the client pc and mapped it as drive B:\ on the server. The client PC is always on, and power settings have been changed to 'always on'. The user stays logged in to the domain, and locks the workstation.

The backup seems to fail. When I check the folder on the client PC in the mornings, there is nothing in there. Any ideas?

It would be great to be able to backup data to that PC as well as the removable portable HDD. I am trying to avoid getting a network storage device if possible.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hard to say, but I'd try a sample backup in that configuration and watch what happens. What does any backup log or the event log say about the backup process?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!