1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem booting at 230v option

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hayden5935, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Hayden5935

Hayden5935 Thread Starter

Hello all!
    For months, my pc had no issue booting at the 230 option on my PSU. However, a few days ago I powered it down and it wouldn’t turn back on until I had switched it to 115. This wouldn’t be an issue, except now my USB microphone doesn’t work anymore because it draws too much power. Whenever I try to boot with 230 now, my pc goes on this endless cycle of trying to startup, and the fans speed up and slow down over and over and over again. It’s so annoying!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hello Hayden5935, and welcome to TSG.

If the PSU in your computer needs a switch to switch the input voltage range and you applied 230 VAC mains voltage while it was set to 115, there is a very good chance you burned out part of the power supply and a good chance you also damaged anything connected to it inside the computer.

If you require further assistance, you will need to give us the details of the hardware in your computer. If it is an unmodified standard product from a major manufacturer, please tell us the name of the manufacturer and the full and exact model number. If it is modified or custom build computer, you will need to give a parts list of all the major components.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

This makes no sense. Your line voltage is either 110 to 120V or 208 to 240V coming out of your wall; unless you had a custom line installed which gives you one or the other. In addition to the line voltage question, you would have to use the proper power cord. In the US, the standard 110 to 120V power cord has a NEMA 5-15 plug on the end of it.

I live in the US so I have standard 110-120V power coming out of the wall outlets which take a NEMA 5-15 plug. I have had some 208-240V outlets installed for some of my equipment. In the case of my server room, I have my 6kVA UPS running off of a L6-30 twist lock outlet.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1242076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice