Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem booting computer "hard disk drive" help plz

1K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  norton850 
#1 ·
Hi, when i boot up my other computer it is a black screen and says "Primary hard disk Drive 0 cannot be found, strike F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup utility." When i strike F1 it says something like "boot up failed press F1 to try again" what do i do? When i press F2 it takes me to a screen and Undery Hard disk drive 0 it says unkown and under hard disk drive 1 it says off.

PS. My computer also makes alot of beeping sounds all of a sudden. Plz help me What is going on? Thankyou

#2 ·
If your comfortable taking the cover off make sure the power connection to the hard drive is secure. Also make sure that the IDE cable to the drive and Motherboard is secure.

When you went into setup (pressing F2) who is the Bios manufacturer (like AMI, Award, Phoenix) and what exactly is the pattern of the beeps.

#6 ·
When you get the message press F2 and go into setup. Look for the IDE settings. There should be something that says Primary IDE master (usually under the Main Menu) see if your hard drive is listed there (probably not). Makes sure the setting is for "auto". If it isn't change it to auto, save changes and you should reboot.

If this doesn't help you do need to unplug the system, open the case and check connections as I posted above.

Do you only have one hard drive? Is there any other drive (including a CDROM) attached to the same cable?

#7 ·
I tried opening comp. and making sure everything was secure. It was. It didnt do anything. Also I think it is at Auto cause when i click on it it says auto but when it shows its status it says "unkown" there is also another primary driver called "1" not "0" its status is off. I think i have a reg hard drive and another called a slave i think, not sure though. Not to "into" computer to know what that means thx

#9 ·
nothing it stays same. I looked on line at theres 4 little like letted A B C D. If there lit in special configuration. So i looked at what each configuration and it sayed either "other" or "ribbon cable not secure" So i guess this means im going to have to try another hard drive, see if it works. If it does then i guess its my hard drive. If it doesnt then its most probobly a cable prob right?
Your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.