1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem booting up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dave-Lewis, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dave-Lewis

Dave-Lewis Thread Starter

Hi, I have a problem.! a major one i think! I was attempting to install an atapi internal zip 100 with no success using various configurations with the ribbon connections. I gave up in the end, However on starting the computer up i get a black screen, no system test, nothing. I have tried to boot up using the boot / startup disk, but no good. I am running Win98 SE. any suggestions to the problem or fixes?

please help,

Dave Lewis

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Look at your hard drive....you may have moved it's cable? The pin1 side of the cable, has a stripe of different color, red or blue...that goes to the pin1 side of IDE port and drive. Both pin1's should be marked, but can be hard to see. For some systems, you cant depend on the notches in the cable connector, either. If you have a cable with one blue end>> that end must go to the motherboard.
    Your IDE ports, where cables from drives plug in to motherboard, are marked 1 and 2 or, Primary IDE and Secondary. They should correspond to the drives....hard drive should be Master drive on Primary IDE or IDE 1.
    The CD drive would be either a Master or Slave....if it is on the 2nd IDE port, should be Master drive. If connected to the same cable as hard drive- it's a Slave....this configuration is not as efficient as having a CD drive on the other port.
    Did you move any drive jumpers...little plastic pin connectors, on the rear end of drives?
    When you installed the 100 drive....did you move the floppy drive ribbon cable? The twisted end of this cable has to go TO the floppy drive....
    Post back and tell us what you did try...how you are set up, etc.

3. Dave-Lewis

Thanks byteman for your prompt reply.

I did sort it out today, more luck than judgememnt. I swapped around the ribbon on the hard disk (it has a spare one) and it worked. It has another problem now I get a config error, 604 diskette drive error. 662 config change occurred and 162 config change occurred. I have altered and saved in System Summary (also to default)but reverts back to errors. It did boot up so am able to use at the moment.My cd rom drive icon has disappeared completely, so I cannot reload win98

Then another disaster struck. (not my day today!!).
    on my other computer I had a message "error loading explorer.exe reinstall windows also MSVCRT.DLL not found.
    I have inserted the startup disk. Question do I start with or without cd rom? and what is the command to start the reinstallation of windows98 ? Can you enlighten me please? and does it mean that I wll lose all the loaded items?

Thanks a lot,

Dave Lewis

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi- For the new problem, second computer, MSVCRT.DLL problem- check this page for a solution. It looks harder than it is....http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299296

Your original problem: You need to calmly get this planned out, then do it. Unhook the zip drive for now....boot, enter BIOS, make sure the drives are set up as Primary for what is ON the Primary IDE port and cable, jumpered correctly. Make sure the Secondary port's drive, usually the CD drive, is set correctly as a Master or Slave drive. Get the system booting like it should...
    Then- try installing the zip drive. When it is installed correctly, enter BIOS again, unless directions tell you otherwise, there should be settings you have to change to show this type of drive on whatever cable, port it goes to, either a floppy drive port or IDE...make sure you are changing the correct drive's settings....the BIOS has selections that you have to get entered then SAVE and EXIT as it tells you to make the changes stick.
    Are there any directions you followed to originally install the zip drive? If not- get to the website for that brand and model, and see if you did something wrong. I would think the problem is that the drive is not set up right in the BIOS- there are some different settins your particular drive may have to use, or the BIOS may have to be set to, to function. I would have no way of telling- best to get good directions as I said, from the site for the drive. Are there perhaps jumpers on back of the drive? Or any software you have to install? Is this an Iomega zip 100- if so, here are a few links to support sites. Are these two computers set up in Networking configuration by any chance?

http://www.iomega.com/support/catalog/zip1a_install.html

http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/10014.htmlNote that the page I am using is for an Iomega 750 zip IDE drive, may not match yours!!

5. Dave-Lewis

Thanks yet again Byteman,

The problem with the msvcrvt.dll file error, I accessed the microsoft site and got the info and it is now sorted (for how long, we shall see!!).

Regarding the Zip 100 installation I am going to attempt that tomorrow.

Thanks,

Dave Lewis

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice