1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem booting win xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by relic419, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. relic419

relic419 Thread Starter

When I boot up my windows xp, it goes straight to the log-in screen. The first boot screen is black, even the windows logo is not visible. Because of this i can't access the boot menu, as the screen remains black.
    I recently installed an nvidia fx5200 video card, however, even when i plug the monitor into the vga slot on the computer as opposed to the video card, i still don't see any of the pre-log in screen stuff.

I've searched the forums and google, but havn't been able to find anything pertaining to this

2. helpmerick

helpmerick

Did the new video card ever work? Did you disable the on-board video after installing the new video card? If everything was working fine prior to installing the new video card, I would suggest taking it out, hook the monitor to the existing port and try again. However, we need a little more detail about your problem and how and when it started. Good luck.

3. relic419

relic419 Thread Starter

The video card works and so does the existing port. I'm able to use dual monitors or single monitor from either the video card or the existing port. Right now i disabled the video card monitor to see if that was the porblem, but to no avail.

I aslo had a second HDD with ubuntu, but i was never able to see the boot menu from the video card. I was able to do the fixmbr thing with the xp recovery cd while the monitor was connected to the computers existing port. I then went ahead and formatted the second HDD. I guess that is when the problem started. My XP OS was on my main hard drive, and i am still able to acess it tho

4. helpmerick

helpmerick

Hmmm. Did you install the Ubuntu after the XP? I'm going to assume, yes. Ubuntu does a good job of installing a new boot record and startup chooser which is why you had to us XP to repair the MBR.

I'm new to Ubuntu also, but I'm thinking that if you reinstall Ubuntu on that second hard drive, you will see that the startup is normal again. If you want to go back to the XP startup, you probably need to reinstall XP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice