1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem Booting Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jwfry56, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jwfry56

jwfry56 Thread Starter

my windows XP has refused to boot up. while booting up it brings me to the standard "windows shut down incorrectly" and you have to choose which way you want to boot windows, "safe mode - networking" "safe mode - no networking" "run windows regularly" etc. I have choosen each one and all the times it has tried to boot windows, but it brings me to a message that says "please insert boot disc to A:". looking for help!

2. killah

killah

have the xp cd's handy? sounds like your goona need them!

3. jwfry56

jwfry56 Thread Starter

killah, i have no discs for xp.

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Try inserting your Windows XP CD, and then restart the PC. It should boot to the CD and present you with a blue options screen.

Press Enter to continue into "Windows Setup". Accept the lincense agreement and then on the next screen, take the option "R" to Repair the current install.

Let us know what happens

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    You'll need your Microsoft Windows XP CD to fix it. Are you sure you didn't get it with the PC? If not, did you buy the PC from a retail store or used through a private party?

6. jwfry56

jwfry56 Thread Starter

through a private party, my friend has the cds, and he is decent with tech help. have you heard of something like this happening?
    i have norton anti-virus and spybot that i run weekly, for virus scan and spyware removal. also on thursday i ran a defrag. my problem happened the next day. do you think that this had anything to do with this?

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I've heard of many things and nothing surprises me. It doesn't appear to be a hardware problem so a simple XP repair of the operating system or a reinstall of XP should get you going. Once you're up and running, be sure you have the Norton's virus pattern file up to date and scan for a virus just to be sure your clean.

Let us know what happens

8. killah

killah

its definitely a OS issue....GET LINUX! :)

9. jwfry56

jwfry56 Thread Starter

bryan, i think that one problem could have been a program could have "froze" my computer. i had just run my virus scan and it turned up empty. is this common for a program to freeze and not allow it to reboot properly?

10. killah

killah

Kinda common, yah....Microsoft is NOT a stable OS, which us techs are eternally grateful :)
    Bundles with a unstable OS, and Norton (McAfee also) which try to take over the PC, things can become very unstable...
    Just get the XP cd, re-install, and chalk it up as a learning experience, next time windows crashes (and it will!) you will know what to do :)

11. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Windows XP is much better than previous versions of Windows when it comes to programs freezing the entire PC but it still happens occasionally. You can usually press alt-ctrl-del and use Task Manager to kill the program so you can continue on but it's not always an alternative.

12. jwfry56

jwfry56 Thread Starter

yeah, i actually dont care about re installing, i have all my music on my sp3 player, and I didnt have anything important on my comp. im a student and basically use it for internet, and typing papers which i back up on a flash drive. so starting fresh isnt such a big deal.
    thanks for your help killah and bryan. i'll let you guys know how everything turned out tonight.
    site is great and i've already recommended it to friends.
    shaka

13. jwfry56

jwfry56 Thread Starter

i tried to re install XP with no results. the XP runs the format, setup and the install. but then when it reboots after its done. i receive a disc error. we tried several times to correct this with no result. any suggestions?

14. jwfry56

jwfry56 Thread Starter

i tried to re install XP with no results. the XP runs the format, setup and the install. but then when it reboots after its done. i receive a disc error. we tried several times to correct this with no result. any suggestions? :confused:

15. Dan O

Dan O

What is the exact error message you're receiving?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!