1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem booting windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sawtoothgrin, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sawtoothgrin

sawtoothgrin Thread Starter

I just recently upgraded my video card to an ATI x800 and was having some issues (screen was shaking). Turns out it was bad/old drivers. I uninstalled the bad ones which solved the problem, downloaded the newest ones, installed, and upon reboot, I get a black screen. I get the black screen at the point where it would normally load the desktop (after the windows logo is displayed with the little progress bar). Can anyone give me any advice on what to do? I can access the bios and I can also access the boot menu (but haven't had any luck with either). If I could boot to a previous point where things were working better or even access safe mode and delete the new driver package, that'd be great. Any suggestions? I'm sort of at my wits end as I've had 1 problem after another. Thanks for any and all help. I appreciate it.

Edit: The motherboarde is a P5NSLI Series if that helps.

Edit2: I managed to force it in to Safe Mode due to the fact that I couldn't find another way. Powered on and then manually powered off before windows fully loaded. Upon restart it allowed me to enter safe mode. (Restoring to a point where everything was working properly had no effect). Don't know if all of this will help. I'll keep posting with further problems as I'm sure I'll have them.

Edit3: When I tried to uninstall the ATI visual drivers, I get the error "Unable to Initialize". My first thought was that maybe on the prior install it didn't install properly. I tried reinstalling for kicks (just so I could uninstall again) but when I tried to install this time, I got an error stating that there was no compatible hardware for this driver and the program would now close. Not sure if this is because I'm in safe mode or what. Anyone with any ideas?

2. rexgrant

rexgrant

3. sawtoothgrin

sawtoothgrin Thread Starter

Apparently the ASUS boards don't have the F8 key set for safe mode. I tried this and that's how I found the boot menu. I did some reading on the subject and apparently others have had a problem with this as well. The only thing I could think of was shutting down the computer before it finished booting windows. I normally wouldn't do that, but I was grabbing at straws. I got in to safe mode and cleared out the drivers and all is well :) Thanks for the heads up on the program. I appreciate it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice