problem booting windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sawtoothgrin

I just recently upgraded my video card to an ATI x800 and was having some issues (screen was shaking). Turns out it was bad/old drivers. I uninstalled the bad ones which solved the problem, downloaded the newest ones, installed, and upon reboot, I get a black screen. I get the black screen at the point where it would normally load the desktop (after the windows logo is displayed with the little progress bar). Can anyone give me any advice on what to do? I can access the bios and I can also access the boot menu (but haven't had any luck with either). If I could boot to a previous point where things were working better or even access safe mode and delete the new driver package, that'd be great. Any suggestions? I'm sort of at my wits end as I've had 1 problem after another. Thanks for any and all help. I appreciate it.

Edit: The motherboarde is a P5NSLI Series if that helps.

Edit2: I managed to force it in to Safe Mode due to the fact that I couldn't find another way. Powered on and then manually powered off before windows fully loaded. Upon restart it allowed me to enter safe mode. (Restoring to a point where everything was working properly had no effect). Don't know if all of this will help. I'll keep posting with further problems as I'm sure I'll have them.

Edit3: When I tried to uninstall the ATI visual drivers, I get the error "Unable to Initialize". My first thought was that maybe on the prior install it didn't install properly. I tried reinstalling for kicks (just so I could uninstall again) but when I tried to install this time, I got an error stating that there was no compatible hardware for this driver and the program would now close. Not sure if this is because I'm in safe mode or what. Anyone with any ideas?

sawtoothgrin said:
I just recently upgraded my video card to an ATI x800 and was having some issues (screen was shaking). Turns out it was bad/old drivers. I uninstalled the bad ones which solved the problem, downloaded the newest ones, installed, and upon reboot, I get a black screen. I get the black screen at the point where it would normally load the desktop (after the windows logo is displayed with the little progress bar). Can anyone give me any advice on what to do? I can access the bios and I can also access the boot menu (but haven't had any luck with either). If I could boot to a previous point where things were working better or even access safe mode and delete the new driver package, that'd be great. Any suggestions? I'm sort of at my wits end as I've had 1 problem after another. Thanks for any and all help. I appreciate it.

Edit: The motherboarde is a P5NSLI Series if that helps.[/QUOTE
Hi sawtoothgrin
You should be able to access safe mode with F8 or the key you use as soon as the bios screen as gone.
What you need to do is to clean your video drivers before you up date to the latest.Google driver cleaner pro it is free and safe.Read up on how to use it ,it is easy but always make sure you are in safemode when you clean.
Boot into safe mode and remove your video drivers then reboot and download driver cleaner
then reboot back into safe mode and clean you video drivers reboot and if you are sure your new drivers are not corrupt reinstall them.
Good luck
Rex(y)

sawtoothgrin

Apparently the ASUS boards don't have the F8 key set for safe mode. I tried this and that's how I found the boot menu. I did some reading on the subject and apparently others have had a problem with this as well. The only thing I could think of was shutting down the computer before it finished booting windows. I normally wouldn't do that, but I was grabbing at straws. I got in to safe mode and cleared out the drivers and all is well :) Thanks for the heads up on the program. I appreciate it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online