problem build: 6000+ and m2n sli

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DFroelich

I am putting together a new system:
6000+
m2n sli deluxe
2gig ocz platinum
WD500gig sata
msi 8600gts
coolmaster 550Wpsu, case

While installing xp pro, I get a beep code, one long and two short. For the award bios, this should mean: Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly. - http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

I took out the msi vid card and tried an old pci card (different slot) It gets to the XP install blue screen, and at the 37minutes remaining I get the same error.

I flashed the bios to current, and get the same error.

Is this a motherboard problem?

DFroelich

I ran memtest, but it stopped at "Pass 9% " in test #4. I am not sure what this reaout means, but I'll type out what looks important:
walltime- 4:50
cached-2047m
rsvdmem-84M
memmap - e820-std
chche - on
ecc - off
test - std
pass - 0
errors - 0
ecc errs - 0

unexpected interrupt - halting
Then there is plenty of numbers like: 0002e802, and at the bottome left is CS:EIP: f6 ff ff 83 c4 0c ff 75 28 6a

Does the halting mean the ram is the culprit?

I downloaded the QVL for this board, it looks like I need to get different RAM from the list?

DFroelich

All right, I ran it again, and got the same halting message. This time it happened during test 6 at Pass 18%.

I think I'll go for the crucial 2 gig kit at buy.com for 80-30rebate. That one is on the QVL for the mobo. Are there any other ways I can confirm this is the problem before dropping more cash?

Only 1 reference I could see to halt on memtest forum suggesting ram # 1 possibility but also could be board causing that. I would bet on the Ocz and return it, I have never had it work right on new systems but there will be 12 people behind me who swear it is fine also, unfortunately. Remember 1 thing, if you buy it from Crucial, they guaranty it will work or money back.

if you want to make sure its the ram, you could always pop the ram sticks into another (compatible) mobo and see if it'l post. if you get the "three beeps of doom" then trash the ram, so long as you know that mobo is the same type of ram and can support that much.

Maxturbo211 said:
if you want to make sure its the ram, you could always pop the ram sticks into another (compatible) mobo and see if it'l post. if you get the "three beeps of doom" then trash the ram, so long as you know that mobo is the same type of ram and can support that much.
That doesn't really do it I'm afraid because unless the ram is totally bad, what I think you have here is only compatibility issue as the ram is new.

DFroelich

I got the crucial ram. It was about the same price as the ocz. If the board is at fault, then I'll exchange that once I try the new ram. Either case, I'm not out any more cash.

Thanks for the help. I'll write back in a couple days after I try the new stuff.

DFroelich

I tried the new RAM, and get the same halting error. This time it waited till pass = %13, 17% through test #6.

Does this mean the mobo is bad?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online