1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem burning audio cds

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by zellit, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zellit

zellit Thread Starter

I've been burning audio cds for quite some time without ever having a problem. the various programs that I have used are record now, windows media player and winamp.

in the past few days, whenever I insert a blank cd my disc drive the automatic windows prompt asking me what I'd like to do with the disc (the bulk of the questions asking what program I would like to burn a cd with) does not appear.

whenever I try to burn a cd in any of the above programs it asks me to insert a blank cd into the drive. it will never recognize one of the blank discs.

when accessing the properties of the blank cd through my computer it says that it has 0 bytes free, 0 bytes used. these are from a new pack of memorex cdr's.

if it's of any relevance, the cd-burner drive is from a third party company and installed after the original cd burner crapped out. I installed it almost a year ago.

any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

I would try a system restore to a time before the problem started first.

If that didn't do it, I would uninstall the cd burner in Device Manager and reboot letting Windows re-install it.

3. zellit

zellit Thread Starter

unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem.

and when I went through the hp help and support to try and re-install the drivers, it said that "the device could not be found".

4. JBotAlan

JBotAlan

If you know what you are doing, I would suggest taking the drive out and putting it in another computer. That way, you know immediately whether or not the problem is in the hardware. I have seen a CD-burner destroyed by dust--the fans in the back of the system pulled air through the vents in the front of the drive and filled it full of crap. I have tried to use a cleaning CD to fix the drive (I used something like this)
    but I really don't think they do much. I imagine the best way to clean a drive would be to open it up and wipe the laser lens with a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol, but there seems to be a layer of tiny, intricate, fragile mechanical pieces that seem to scatter when the drive is opened...

In short, if your drive failed suddenly and doesn't work at all now, either the hardware is dead, or Windows is messed up. I don't know much about fixing Windows, but I do know that if you are comfortable working inside your computer, moving the drive to another machine to test is definitely worth it. Otherwise, it's probably out of your hands and worth taking in to a qualified computer service center.

Good luck,
    JBot

5. happyrck

happyrck

does the drive show up in the bios

6. zellit

zellit Thread Starter

I'm not sure what you mean by bios. how do I access it?

7. happyrck

happyrck

when you start your computer try tapping the delete key...read the screen when you start your computer...it might say what key to press to get to settings

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488571

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice