1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem burning dvds

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by heliocentric, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heliocentric

heliocentric Thread Starter

whenever i try to burn something, the light flahes on the drive for a min but it does nothing...doesnt burn a thing!

it burns cds fine...

am i using the wrong dvds? i have a song dw q520a...will it only burn sony dvd-r's or have i set up the drive wrong?

thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Chuck
    What software are you using to try to burn to the DVD? Does the software give you any warnings or error messages or does it just not acknowledge that a blank DVD+/-R is even in the drive? Are you trying to make a video DVD or some type of data disc?

3. heliocentric

i've tried making a data dvd and video...neither work...

i am using a program called deep burner and also one called convertxtodvd

it doesnt give me any specific errors

any ideas?

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am sorry to say that I am not familiar with either program. I do find it hard to believe that neither program gives you any kind of error message when you try to burn to a blank recordable DVD. Do the programs just act as if they had successfully burned the disc or do they exhibit some other type of behavior?

I am going to assume you are running some version of MS-Windows; which one?

With a blank DVD disc in the drive, what do you get in Windows Explorer when you right click on the drive and select "Properties"?

Is there any warning symbol for the drive under My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> DVD/CD-ROM Drives?

Does the set-up documentation for the burner say you need to install an drivers for it to work with your particular version of Windows?

How much free hard drive space do you have? Some burning programs build a a full sized image file of the DVD and then burn the image to the disc.

Have you tried more than one brand of blank DVD?

5. heliocentric

i use xp sp2...

i tried the both the programs again. Convertxtodvd says 'write error at 0 (16) - Code 03 73 03 [Medium error, Power calibration fail (CD-burner is dirty)]

and using deepburner it gives no error and just ejects a black dvd after i tell it to burn.

I checked and my drive has the latest firmware/driver and i have over 5gb free on the harddrive

when i click properties with a blank dvd in the drive it says 'type: CD drive' and 'file system: RAW'...also 'capacity 0 bytes'

i have only tried this one brand of dvd+r

thanks

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You may want to try another brand of blank disc from a big name manufacturer or see if there is a firmware update for your burner.

Found this information on another web site where someone was getting the same error message in another burning program:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45942

7. heliocentric

is their anyway i can find a list of compatible dvdr's for this drive?

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Well first the free version of DeepBurner will not burn DVD Video, only DATA. Your drive also appears to be an 8X burner. You might have a hard time getting any of the newer 16X blanks to burn. I would try Verbatim discs, 8X if you can find them might be preferable.

Your drive is made by Lite-on.

9. heliocentric

im using 'mitsubishi 1x -8x'....

is that the problem?

lite-on? i thought it was sony...

10. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Well there's a good chance that they are basically Verbatims, made by MCC. MCC discs are some of the best.

A Lite-on drive with a Sony name plate on it.

Have you ever burned any DVDs?

11. heliocentric

no i've never burnt a dvd...

im a bit stumped on what to do now

12. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

How old is the burner could be the laser for DVD burning is bad.Do you have drag to disk.try that.

13. heliocentric

its about a month old...

it wont drag to disk.

thanks

14. hayhay

hayhay

i have a lite on buner + and a sonny + - i'ed try clone dvd2 or power dvd copy or ashampoo i use the cheap dvd's 17$ for 50 au 98% work + for the lite + or - for the sonny

15. heliocentric

i found out the problem. it didnt like the cheap brand of dvd+r i was using...i brought some sony ones and it now works perfectly.

thanks for everyones help!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/526258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice