1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem burning ISO file

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by starchild, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I've been putting words in search here, because it seems like this must be a common problem.

Mainly all I find is to use Nero.

I think there's a free download of this, but if I don't have to go through all that, I'd rather now.

I have a file that's ISO. It didn't come from from p2p and I know it's a legit file.

It's documents and think it has images on it, which is why it's ISO (if I have this correctly. CD burning seems to be one of the most complicated things I've ever tried to learn and use :)

What I have is HP Record Now (which came with my HP CD burner) and NTI Dragon Platinum 6, which I really like, it's fast and seems easy to use.

But, I can't seem to get the ISO file on the CD correctly.

It came as a zip file, I unzipped it, and have tried various ways of burning the unzipped file on the CD. All I get is either nothing, or a file OF the CD burner software (when I open the file saved on the black CD it brings up the burning software!)

I have tried burning it as "data" (data CD) and this is the result.

The only other options seem to be audio and video, and these say it's the wrong file type.

Is Nero the only way to do this? I want it so the CD has the file on it, and when put in, come up with the files or whatever is in them.

I tried Nero one other time, because people keep recommending it, and found it VERY complicated. It seemed like things that were supposed to be there (like a button to click- with flames for "burn") weren't there. And sometimes I'd get a wizard and sometimes not.

But, if that's the only way...

When I ask questions about CD burning, I've sometimes been told I don't have a good understanding of this. Like, I'm still trying to figure out how to use CD-RW (like floppy disks, to save on. I've heard some new pcs don't even have floppy disk drives now, they just use CDs)

I agree, I am easily confused about this, and don't understand a lot of it. That's why I come and ask here :) And having a better understanding of the basics would help a lot.

Is there a good tutorial that explains it all, in depth and easy to understand? I've looked and found some about something, and a lot I still can't follow.

Like I sometimes find audio files that say they're not the correct format, and need to be changed. I have CDex that change them to WAV and it still doesn't work. Many settings on it, but I don't know what is what.

Thanks,

Carrie

2. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use WinISO, but UltraISO and ISObuster also do similar things. You can browse the file and extract whatever you need.

I'm not sure why you can't burn ISO images, I've never had a problem with a valid ISO image and Nero.

4. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Okay, I just got home and will try extracting it first. That might be a simple solution.

Someone (elsewhere) gave me directions for doing it with my software (NTI Dragon Platiumn6), I hadn't seen the option for ISOs. What I did... open it, choose data file (cd)- which is the only one that has the ISO option on the menur. New, Select "create disk from ISP CD image file, OPEN (it was in unzipped, because the download is a zip file) It says ISO file on it.

I burned it. It said it was done, 57.80 MB. When I try opening the CD it says 0 bytes and it seems empty.

When I check properties, it says it's full- 57.80 MBs

I've been trying various other ways around this, like different speeds (the default for NTI seems to be 4x, but it has 2x and 1x. I don't have a new, fast computer and burner, which is sometimes a problem when there's no way to choose).

I tried 2 different brands of blank cds.

I think at some point it's just the idea of it. Trying to get it to work just to get it to work :)

Hopefully, after I extract it to another file THAT file will be compatible with the burner.

I'll let you know.

~ Carrie

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think there must be something wrong with the ISO, but without seeing it, that's just a SWAG. I burn ISO's all the time with Nero, and it's as simple as selecting the "other" format in the wizard and navigating to the ISO image.

6. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I downloaded the extractor, and got it changed and saved, and burned it on a cd and that worked.

I wasn't sure if I should burn the folder, or open THAT and put everything in it on the cd. I went with the folder, and that comes up on the cd to click on and open. It has to be installed on the computer, AND the cd in for it to work.

But, I copied and pasted what I wanted from it, unto WORD and saved it as a text file.

I probably won't be doing this much, but at least I have an idea now of how.

Either this way, or put in NERO.

I guess it's another topic, and I've asked it before and never got it clear, figured it out, but how do I use a cd-RW disk? Like to "save" (or save over, etc) like a floppy?

I got such clear answered and was able to figure out the ISO file, so maybe while I'm on the subject, I can find out about this one, too.

The RECORD NOW I got with my HP burner says I need to put in DLA, but I think I tried this before (and it might still be in there, I see it in the add/remove programs box).

I got some CD-RWs (which ain't cheap) now don't know how to use them. I was thinking I could do something, write something in WORD for example, and "save as" the E drive (cd burner) and then later save more, or over write it. Is that possible? That simple? I've heard that new pcs don't even have A drives, unless you get one as an option. Because they use cd burners, instead.

Seems like ever since I got into cd burner all I do is spend a lot of time going in circles :)

Thanks,

~ Carrie

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/176381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice