1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem cd burning with WMP

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by starchild, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I have a HP Brio, WIN 98 SE and 64 mb RAM (I know, I could use more, but that's another topic :)

When I first put in WMP, I tried the older models (that might be better with my older version of WIN) and they didn't work, so ended up with WMP 9 and then had to download and install Direct X (I was helped with all of these here)

I have another problem (I'm not dealing with right now) where every now and then, a screen will come up saying WIN had a problem and has restored previous settings. It doesn't ask this, it just does it. I have to change a few things and install a few programs again, one being WMP 9. I now have the download (setup) saved on a cd so can put it in faster, if needed.

occasionally I would use WMP to burn an audio CD (from computer file) if my cd burner (an inexpensive, basic HP CD-Writer Plus 8200 exterior) wouldn't do it. Some files, it would say it couldn't burn. But I could bring them up in WMP and right click and "copy to CD" and it would work. It would do it slowly in real time, and say if I wanted it faster I had to buy their premium service from Roxio. But it would work. The ones that won't burn on my hp (with HP REcord Now) are some I've downloaded, "self help" types (not music files or tracks).

I have found CD burning and the files and speeds, etc. very confusing, but I thought I had the basics down, which is all I really need at the time.

So, the last time I put in WMP 9,(again) and then tried to burn a cd using it, a box came up saying "The Easy CD Creator burning engine was not found on your system. Would you like to download it?" I went to the link (Roxio) and there's a download called engsetup. And directions to download onto desktop and click install. I did this (I have done this several times in the past month or so since last putting in WMP 9 and it not working to burn cds) and it says it has installed. It doesn't show where it's going or give a choice. I assume it knows where to go (the WMP)

I think I did this one other time, back when I first put in WMP 9 (the first time) which was probably a year or so ago. And it worked to burn CDs with it (WMP)

I'm not sure if I put in anything else at the time. The box that comes up seems to say this is what's needed.

Seems like if I needed something else a box would come up and tell me? I've noticed when the WMP 9 installs, it includes a Roxio cd burning program of some kind. I see the name.

I don't use WMP a lot to burn a cd, but when my regular program won't, I would like to.

What am I doing wrong, or missing?

I can sure see why people want to buy new, better computer systems, with built in CD burner, and everything working. But, that's not an option for me.

Thanks,

Carrie

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice