Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem changing User name

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
I have an HP machine that came with Vista. When I got this machine it had some major hardware problems these were fixed.
I then had to replace th OS so I went with Win 7. The OS installed fine but I used my name during the install process that was ok because I was going to keep it. Then a very close friend of mine needed a computer because her old XP had died. I decided to give her the HP. I went into system and chaged the computer name, and control panel, User's and changed that name both area's show that name. But when I go into my computer, C: drive, users my name is still there and I can not change it. The only solution I know might be to get into the regedit and change it there. I just need help getting to the right area. I hope someone can point the way thanks"s

#2 ·
You probably should do a clean reinstall of Windows 7 so your friend doesn't have a computer with your leftover "debris" that can't be gotten rid of.

Something I learned to do a long time ago when doing a clean install of Windows is enter ComputerOwner as the username. It can then be given to anyone and not have someone else's name.

------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
Be careful what you change in the registry, concerning the username.

I don't know what'll happen with Windows 7 after you make the changes and restart the computer, but I remember it causing a major headache when I did it with Windows XP.

---------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.