1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem Cloning Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ebony, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I recently checked my drives and I was shown that my main drive,C,D,E,G which are partitions of my drive is failing and I should back it up. I decided to clone the drive using AOMEI Backupper. I plugged in my 2 TB external drive which I previously used to back up my files The drive is shown as J on my computer. I choose clone on my software and chose my c,d.e.g dive to clone. The problem is when the software tells me to chose a destination it does not show my J drive. If I chose to backup a file the J drive does show up.
    Any ideas?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Cloning will overwrite everything on that external drive, is that what your intention is and you plan on replacing the current internal drive with this external drive?

3. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

Since the information on the external drive is backups of the drive I want to clone it won't make a diffrence.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Actually is does. Before you do anything, have a current backup [one you are NOT going to erase] of the drive you intend to clone. Data you do not have at least two copies of [on separate media] is data you do not care about AND you should expect to lose said data.

The only tools I use to clone are either acronis true image or clonzilla. If you use acronis, make sure the destination drive is blank ie no partition info, no formatting, nothing on the drive. If you use clonzilla, it should not matter.

Since this is a windows system, I would use acronis [however clonzilla will work on ALL file systems] so if you do not want to purchase acronis, then use the free alternative.

IMO any clone or image should be done from a boot disk so as to eliminate windows from the task. Both acronis and clonzillia can use boot disks [for clonzilla, that is the only way]

5. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

Thank you for the info. One moe question. If my drive crashes and no longer boots and I replace with a new 3TB drive,how do I add my cloned disk to my new drive considering the new drive is blank and won't boot? Also do I have to reinstall windows on the new drive if the clone contains windows?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It sounds like you would be better off with an image instead of a clone. A clone is useful when migrating from one drive to another, if you plan to keep a backup of a drive then creating an image is the way to go. The benefit of creating an image is that you can store multiple images on the same drive or keep using the drive for other purposes.

As to how to restore a backup or clone, you would boot from the imaging/cloning software's disc and restore it from the backup.

7. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

No.It will be a new drive. This drive from my drive health program indicates failure so I'll be getting a new drive.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    In that case you save the Image onto the external drive and make the Imaging software's restore CD. Then you swap the failing drive for the new drive, boot from the CD you just made and restore the Image from the external drive to the new drive. In effect the Image is a backup of everything and can be used that way too, to restore a single file for example.

This is a free Imaging program that can do all this (and more) :- http://download.cnet.com/Macrium-Reflect-Free/3055-2242_4-10845728.html?part=dl-&tag=pdl-redir
    Use the green 'Free Download' button on the left !

9. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

Let me understand tis.
    1. Clone the hard drive.
    2. Make a boot disk.
    3.Remove and replace hard drive.
    4. Boot from boot disk.
    5. Restore clone to new drive.
    Is there a restore command on the cloned drive since there is nothing on the new drive?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The "restore command" is the bootable disc you make with the Imaging software.

11. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

Ah! Thank you.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice