1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem connecting 98SE comp to Xp comp but not visa versa

Discussion in 'Networking' started by onesikgypo, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onesikgypo

onesikgypo Thread Starter

alright were havin a little problem first let me tell you about the two computers:

Computer A: Windows XP Home Edition
    Has the Cable modem connected to it
    Has the router connected to it
    512mb ram

Computer B: Windows 98SE
    Being Wirelessly connected to the xp computer

Ok well i know i have my network set up because a) i went through the XP computer, and The 98SE computer is getting an internet connection and finally C) because the XP can connect to the 98SE but not visa versa

Now every time im on the 98SE computer and i try to connect to the XP comp i get this "Resource: \\MAIN\IPC$" Then its askin for a password, ive tried every single password ive known it wotn connect, i have even made an account exactly the same as the 98SE computer on the XP computer. IE (this is true) The windows 98SE computer has a username of Default and password - nothing. So i went to the XP connection, i made an account named Default and in the password field put nothing. I dont know what else to do ive tried everything plz help soon!!!

2. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

On the XP machine:
    1) Is the firewall turned off? If you have SP2 it is turned on by default.
    2) Have you shared any folders yet?

3. onesikgypo

onesikgypo Thread Starter

1) the XP firewall is off and off by defaut

2) Yes, as i said before i can get all the files from the 98SE computer from the XP comp, like test text documents and stuff, and also we have on the windows xp machine, did the 'share documents over the network' its jus that resource thats puzzlin me

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

On the XP Home computer, try making up something like a C:\test directory and sharing that out just by itself. See if you can then access it from the Win98 computer.

If this doesn't work, as a test, you might try logging into the Win98 computer with a different name which has password (even though it shouldn't matter) and create that same account with password on the XP computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/303152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice