1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem connecting Sata hard drive via controller card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fruityfish2000, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fruityfish2000

Fruityfish2000 Thread Starter

HI there, i'm having trouble with a new hard drive i bought, it's a seagate 80gb sata, my motherboard only accepts ide connectors so i bought a controller card with sata ports connected one cable (bought seperately) to the hard drive and another through a convertor to the power. When i start up windows it recognises the raid controller, that in turn recognises the hard drive but it seems to be under a seperate interface, the normal bios does not recognise the hard drive as slave or master or at all for that matter! Have i connected it wrong or is there something i'm missing? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. bigbear

bigbear

Have you installed the sata controller drivers?

3. Fruityfish2000

I had installed them, though my main hard drive was infected with viruses so i formatted it there is currently no operating system, i wish to utlise the sata hard drive as a primary master and install windows on that, though i'm finding it difficult to do so, have i just shot myself in the foot by formatting? It hadn't recognised it in any way that differs from specified above when there was a windows installation and i installed the drivers, thank you

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your motherboard BIOS will not recognize the drive because its connected to a separate controller.

Your motherboard BIOS needs to be able to support booting from a PCI card and the card needs to be able to support booting from it. You may also need to load SATA drivers during the first stages of the Windows XP install for it to see the drive.

5. Fruityfish2000

can i make my motherboard capable to boot from the pci or is it one of its built in properties? And with regard to installing windows on that drive rather than utilising the ide, is that going to be impossible?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would simply install Windows on the PATA IDE and use the SATA as a secondary drive, it'll be much easier and definitely possible.

The motherboard and PCI card both have to support being a boot device. If the motherboard supports it then you can choose a PCI or Add-on card or Other device in the boot sequence.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice