1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem connecting to different WPA Algorithms

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elork, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elork

elork Thread Starter

Hello all,

First off I am hoping I am in the right section for this post. I am assuming the problem is a hardware issue. I'm Hoping you can confirm for deny that diagnosis. I am trying to help out my brother with his old laptop. He brought it to me and told me nothing more than "It cannot connect to wireless" (this being in multiple places).

I started testing it out and I could see my SSID so I tried to connect with no luck. It saved the password, set the network to auto but no connection made. I downloaded and tried various different drivers I came across. All of them with no luck. I finally started messing around in router (note: have had many different laptops connect to my router in the past and even after this with no issues). Once I changed the WPA Algorithm from AES (current setting) to TKIP+AES (Keeping the security mode to WPA2), then all the sudden it would connect and was fine. My question is what would be the best way to go about fixing this issue permanently? Do I need to upgrade the wifi card? Or just a driver issue I am just missing that is not allowing it to connect via AES?

Wifi Card:
    AGERE SYSTEMS

802.11B 5403143002330005AAK000

D01-1128JP
    MPCI3A-20/R
    AGERE SYSTEMS 2.4DS4
    3902D014

WCND @ 2001
    T-HS2T 015168
    N4080SV2KW
    0325K 1986925

Driver:
    Agere
    9/22/2003
    wlags48b.sys

Laptop:
    Gateway M500B1
    Windows XP

Thank you in advance!

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    First I would edit out your Mac address above, I'm no expert but I believe it's a security risk to show it.

I'm surprised you can use WPA2 at all with such an old wireless card but you should really try to set it up at your brother's place, especially if he uses it there most of the time. Duplicate what you did on your router on his.

3. elork

elork Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply!

He would like to use it on the go. Would His system be able to upgrade to newer wifi card that would fix the problem?

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I googled that wireless card and it's a B speed type mini-pci card (not pci-express). I've had success with faster 'Broadcom 4318 Mini PCI' G type cards in old laptops that originally had B cards..

If you search for them on Ebay I'm sure you will find a cheap one. I found used ones from Hong Kong for less than £2 each, that's including delivery ! I've used several of them with no problems.

I can't guarantee it will work at the higher G speed though. it can depend on the particular laptop. If not it will still work but at the slower B speed.

5. elork

elork Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks for the information! I'll go ahead and get one ordered!

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice