1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem connecting to internet with Windows 7

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gymnophoria, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gymnophoria

gymnophoria Thread Starter

I have a Windows 7 desktop, and I share connection with my neighbours' router using a cable. I was using it fine yesterday but today it refuses to connect. I can see that the router is on because it shows on wifi (the signal was always too weak for me to connect hence the cable).

Normally if there's any problem I reset the router remotely by logging in to the box, but when I type in the ip 192.168.01, it finds nothing. As far as I know there's nothing wrong with the cable connection. I tried ipconfig /all but it only lists "Media Disconnected".

I'm suspecting it's a problem with my PC rather than the router. I've tried tethering my PC to my Android smartphone via wifi hotspot, which I've done before and usually works fine, but as with the cable connection, it comes up with an error which can't be resolved by Windows troubleshooting. I can successfully tether other devices to my phone so I know that works. I've currently connected the desktop to my phone via Bluetooth, which is now working fine.

I've looked through advice on here and did the winsock resets and rebooted, that made no difference. I checked Windows Update history but there's been no new drivers installed. I also did a System Restore to a state a few days ago when I knew it was working, no luck.

It seems strange that my computer was all working fine yesterday, yet today won't connect to the internet. I'd appreciate any help.

2. mobo

mobo

the login should be 192.168.0.1

Also a Media Disconnected usually means no connection whatsoever so check the cable on the other end so that it is still plugged in to the router and working. Also check device manager for anything by the network adapters to signify an issue there.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sharing internet access outside a household is almost always against the ISP's terms of service. From our Rules:
    Closing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice