1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem connecting Vista laptop to internet with DI-524 router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pravin2k, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pravin2k

pravin2k Thread Starter

Hi,

I have 2 laptops. One Dell Lattitude/XP and HP Pavilion/Me (yah I still have Me). Both work fine with Wireless router DI-524. I can connect to internet without any problem.

Few days ago I bought a new laptop (HP/dv4t/Vista Home Premium). I configured it to work with DI-524 router. For the first few minutes it worked fine. Later on the connection started to drop. I had to do frequent connect/disconnect cycles to re-establish connection to internet. BUt it keeps on getting disconnected. On some occasions I see the icon with two computers and a globe in system tray indicating the successful connection. But I see following error message on Firefox

"Connection Interrupted
    The Connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    Tnhe network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again." Refer to the attached document.

I reinstalled the drivers under network Adapters, it did not help. Talked to HP support. Support lady said it is problem with the router and it may not be compatible with Vista. But on Dlink web site I see DI-524 is listed under "Compatible with Windows Vista" http://www.dlink.com/products/vista-support/. I haven't talked to Dlink people yet.

Here are the details for the Router
    Model: DI-524
    h/w version: C1
    F/W version: 3.02 (original in 2005). I had updated it to 3.23 (more than a year back)

Any thoughts on what's going on? Do I need to upgrade the firmware for the router? Or do I need to buy new router?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Some things you can try here.

1. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
    2. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
    3. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    4. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.
    5. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

Next, I'd give these changes a shot.

Changes that may help to increase the compatibility of Vista with older networking devices:

Disable the IP Helper service:

1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    2. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties
    3. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"
    4. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session
    5. Click OK to exit the dialog

Disable IPv6:

1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    2. Right click on each network connection and select "Properties"
    3. Remove the checkmark from the box next to "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
    4. Click OK to exit the dialog

NOTE: You should do this for each network connection.

Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag:

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233
    1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter regedit and press Enter.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
    4. In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey to be updated.
    5. If the key DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag does not exist, use the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then press ENTER. If the key exists, skip this step.
    6. Right-click DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then click Modify.
    7. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    8. Close Registry Editor.
    NOTE: You should do this for each and every GUID subkey.
    NOTE2: (GUID) is a mnemonic for the individual subkeys, the actual text "GUID" does not appaer.

The only program I'm aware of that currently relies on IPv6 is the new Windows Meeting Space. The first 2 changes will cause that program not to work - but will leave all of your normal (IPv4) connections unaffected. If it causes problems that you can't overcome, simply revert back to the original settings.

3. pravin2k

pravin2k Thread Starter

Thanks JohnWill for the quick reply.

I have tried following
    1. I use channel 6
    2. My PC is within 6 feet from router
    3. I have the Latest firmware as per Manufacturers web site
    4. Yesterday I did reset the router as I had forgotten the admin password

Today evening I will try your suggestion. Will let you know what I find out.

Thanks Again for the help.

Pravin

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver. Assuming you have an integrated wireless adapter this should be from HP's web site.

To me Vista seems to have extra trouble with WEP encryption. If that is what you are using, suggest you try disabling encrytion on the router for a test. If that works much better then try WPA-PSK.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/812481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice